How'd it go today?

Yes, still all over, at least where there are hot springs. Regular neighborhood bath houses have all but disappeared. In retrospect I probably should have gone to the hot spring immediately after leaving work, but all I could think was getting home to lay down.

Hope it heals up quick jay. Hope it's not a stone or the shingles. Both are bad, trust me.

Had a relatively good day. Back on my county project so no one to answer to. We got a lot done and would've finished if we hadn't blown a tire on the skid steer. Changing it took a bit of time since I didn't the proper tools with me. Got it done though. Going back tomorrow to pick up plywood and a bit of side trimming for the new placement of the power lines. Also took the little grinder out for its first job tonight. Stumps were a bit large for the machine but that's why they became stumps. To big for there area. A 32" clump river birch and a 30"cedar. The little grinder and the mini earned their keep. 2&1/2 hours later and no more stumps with zero damage to the surrounding landscape.

Who has the mulch scoops for the BMG?

GRCS should be on its way to my door soon.

Chip truck needs a clutch, at the shop. The tow truck driver didn't properly disengage my Lucas Girling brake system, and smoked the rear brakes. $2200 for the clutch. Seems like the tow bill being waived for time without the truck for brake repair, on their dime, seems reasonable.

I used a big grapple truck instead of having my chip truck. I might be in love with that truck!!! I foresee less chipping disposal in my future.

Work is going gangbusters. I have a big-ish topped maple to dismantle tomorrow. Sold some easy felling/ stacking with mini for grapple truck work today, for a friend's charity's land. Easy, chill work I can do on my schedule with just an mini and saw.

Weather is great.

Stony groundie's last day is tomorrow. Smooth transition. He's off to get married and honeymoon, and on to his company's legal, commercial grow op set-up, in town.

Bad luck with the clutch Sean, and the brakes. They can't do mine till next Tuesday now, they just rang and said Monday was out.

So I'm stuck here and this house is cold. I've just about run out of things to do so spent the afternoon cooking, haven't spent that long in a kitchen for a while. I'll be going nuts by Tuesday.

Ummed and ahhhed about going out in the rain today. Deciding factor was that yesterday we didn't work because of the weather.

Little clearance job, winch tractor and chipper. All went swimmingly, got home in time to watch Logan's Run before the wife's return.

Perfect.

Hope it heals up quick jay. Hope it's not a stone or the shingles. Both are bad, trust me.

Had a relatively good day. Back on my county project so no one to answer to. We got a lot done and would've finished if we hadn't blown a tire on the skid steer. Changing it took a bit of time since I didn't the proper tools with me. Got it done though. Going back tomorrow to pick up plywood and a bit of side trimming for the new placement of the power lines. Also took the little grinder out for its first job tonight. Stumps were a bit large for the machine but that's why they became stumps. To big for there area. A 32" clump river birch and a 30"cedar. The little grinder and the mini earned their keep. 2&1/2 hours later and no more stumps with zero damage to the surrounding landscape.

What stump grinder did you guys get Rich?

Nice Brian. Technology is amazing.

Well I'm taking the long weekend(canada day) here to think things over. The job offered is going to be full time full tilt. I could go and labor for them three days a week if I wanted. For a labourers wage. But what they want is me full time managing some stuff. I think I'm going to do it. I'd have to sell or fold up my chimney stuff. It would be a full tilt gig. Good wage, ot, and a incentive/bonus structure. Seems I'd be a fool not to go for it, atleast give it a whirl. All local work, no weekends and four day weekends every long weekend. Their season would match my plow season exactly as they plow as well. Highly organized shop/yard and lots of nice new well maintained equipment.

Farm fencing. I told them to bad it's all local as I know a guy in northern Montana that has loads of fence.

It sounds great! But it always sounds great up front. Just make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket and plan ahead for how you would proceed if it doesn't work out. You said yourself that you would make a lousy employee after working for yourself. I think that applies to most of us here. We always want to trust and put 100% faith in the person writing the check but in my case at least they rarely live up to my lofty expectations. I get reminded of that every single time I try.

Write down a thorough contingency plan and put it someplace safe. You will need it about 2 weeks after you think you will never need it.

Well my contingency is my plowing and my new chimney sweeping business. I could just as easily 'park' that business and keep it to fall back on. Or honestly I feel like I could start up something else if I needed too.

I like the fact with this job that it will time up perfectly with my plowing. Seems unlikely to get a good job offer that would work well with my plow business which is my main bread and butter now. But that's exactly what this is. I think having the winters 'off' from a regular job would help balance things out a bit?

:lol: @ Guy in Montana...

Well, today did not go as planned. Run over one of those no freeze risers first thing this morning. Regular custy. Been worried about hitting that one for years. Oh well. Got it dug up and fixed by noon while Robert tidied up yesterday's event. Sectioned down the tree we used as a gin pole after that and started setting up on another part of the property. 1/2 dead oak I need it piece down. Multi leader over the creek.
So there was this nasty dead alder right next to it deemed hazard I wanted gone before we start the oak. So I shot a line in it (back leaner) and redirected it to the truck. It wobbled bad the whole time I was setting the line.
Put some tension on it, face cut. Little more tension. Made my back cut with the truck holding the weight. Walked clear of the ares and gave the pull order.
Dann thing exploded into the lz, breaking well above the felling cut. Rope still tied to the tree just above it.
Oh well, all well that lands well :lol:
Fuggen Alders :lol:

Attachments

• 20170629_141900.jpg
    20170629_141900.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170629_141911.jpg
    20170629_141911.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 28
  • 20170629_141940.jpg
    20170629_141940.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20170629_141948.jpg
    20170629_141948.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 27
Is it really that easy to park the sweeping biz, Justin? People don't go off to another service, and forget your great quality of work?

Topped Maple mess... Fun climbing. Hope to get a grapple truck in. We'll see.

Spotted the neighbors grow room through their sky lights.

Met a climber who did a 3 month Bartlett internship, and side jobs. Moved here to do Forester work. Has an Alaskan mill. Asking about today's Maple trunk. Good connection, one way or another.

Back