How'd it go today?

I climber for the first 7 years on an empty stomach. Not these days.

I pole clipped for 5 hours today. That shit is not for me . I hate it. I don't have the patience for it. It hurts my neck, and I hate it.

Had a bank of thunderstorms roll through starting last night. Left a 3.5' DBH hard maple, a real bruiser, on the deck parallel and crossing our access road. Had to call in the pay-loader after I opened up a path to get that moved, but soon it will have to collected for fire wood. When the big dog came down it took three smaller maples into a pretty hard lean. Took almost three hours to sort that all out. Pinched the chit out of the bar on my 441 in one of the smaller leaners (always the easy looking ones right?), swapped in an 18" and continued on.

After work I had an appointment to take out five sketchy Poplar that the homeowner didn't feel comfortable tackling himself. I shot a line into the first one, and hung my throw bag in both directions. :/: So I threw on the spikes and just topped it and it's neighbor out. The other two I managed to shoot good lines into and yanked them over with a simple two-one MA setup.

Last Poplar was about as big as they are want to get around here. I set a good choke up in the canopy around the central leader, ran my clunky tree-pulling 5/8" Arborplex down, through an X Ring re-direct base tied to another tree in the desired direction, and back to my truck. Put enough tension on it to see the top twitch, and made my face/backcut. Back in the truck, and gently pulled her over.

Had a cold beer with the homeowner, and hit the road with some cash in my pocket. Took two hours total. Good day, despite the rain. ;)

Not eating isn't good for you, even if you don't feel the need. The immune system has to get nutrition to help protect against disease. Of course if you are young enough, none of it matters. :lol:

1 coffee with a shot of Espresso, Bagel with Bacon tomato chives and three pepper diablo cream cheese nothing after that other than water and occasional juice until 4ish. Sometimes I'll do a couple toasted PB&J to get started. We start at 7:30.
It keeps me thin and ready to climb. Although I will admit, the hot and humid ones can be a killer. Recently I've added an Avocado to the mix.

Avocado is so good!

I never used to eat breakfast, or really Lunch. I would just feast in the evening. Eating lunch everyday helped me loose weight, but having a simple breakfast every morning before leaving the house has made a huge difference, along with regular cardio and lot's of climbing. . .

I am not sure if this is appropriate but, I just got home from a fellow firefighters house after the funeral. My friend the firefighter's husband killed himself almost on the anniversary of his son getting killed in a tragic accident. It has been a shitty deal. Myself and my captain spent a lot of time at the house with the family.

It is kinda funny, but I seem to live for this kind of stuff. Some on the dept. cant handle anything. For some reason I want to be at the pointy end of everything that goes wrong. I was pissed off that they would not let me be a part of the search for the man that killed himself. Maybe I am weird or something. I have broad shoulders but I suppose that it will be my downfall someday.

I have been thinking about my folk's funeral. Thankfully they have not died as of yet, but I dont plan to be at the back of the Church crying. I am going to be at the front of the isle and no one but me is going to handle the casket but me.

Sorry for the rant, I have had too much to drink and too little sleep.

I climber for the first 7 years on an empty stomach. Not these days.

I pole clipped for 5 hours today. That shit is not for me . I hate it. I don't have the patience for it. It hurts my neck, and I hate it.

No body likes that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure if this is appropriate but, I just got home from a fellow firefighters house after the funeral. My friend the firefighter's husband killed himself almost on the anniversary of his son getting killed in a tragic accident. It has been a shitty deal. Myself and my captain spent a lot of time at the house with the family.

It is kinda funny, but I seem to live for this kind of stuff. Some on the dept. cant handle anything. For some reason I want to be at the pointy end of everything that goes wrong. I was pissed off that they would not let me be a part of the search for the man that killed himself. Maybe I am weird or something. I have broad shoulders but I suppose that it will be my downfall someday.

I have been thinking about my folk's funeral. Thankfully they have not died as of yet, but I dont plan to be at the back of the Church crying. I am going to be at the front of the isle and no one but me is going to handle the casket but me.

Sorry for the rant, I have had too much to drink and too little sleep.

Yer awesome!

1 coffee with a shot of Espresso, Bagel with Bacon tomato chives and three pepper diablo cream cheese nothing after that other than water and occasional juice until 4ish. Sometimes I'll do a couple toasted PB&J to get started. We start at 7:30.
It keeps me thin and ready to climb. Although I will admit, the hot and humid ones can be a killer. Recently I've added an Avocado to the mix.

I typically go with coffee only for breakfast then water all day then two or three dinners between when I get home and 1:00 am when I go to bed.

I looked at a dead fir for for another contract climber after work. He's supposed to be doing the job but wanted my opinion on it. Kind of an awkward situation then. Not a nice tree either. Its about 130-140 maybe. Dead probably 5-10 years. Leaning towards and probably about 50 ft from a house, lots of smaller trees underneath and wires on the back side. Looks like you would need to climb.at least 80 ft before you could top it, that and some how get a tag line 20ft above that point so to pull it at 90 degrees from the house. Pretty rotten up there though. Unfortunately the ground slopes down hill in that direction and is full of trees, so a poor line angle and visibility etc. I told him straight off to just let me do it as a one off....and I'd make myself unavailable if his client were to asked me to work for him again. I said you don't need to be doing this shit so early in your career (he early 20s). He wants to do it though, for the experience. Id like him to succeed also.... but in a slowly, surely kind if way. Last thing I said tonight was that if he gos ahead, but has any doubt's during....to get down and walk away. Its not worth it.

Thursday I think we have a big dead cotton wood to slay. I don't use the word big very often.

Yes sounds bloody dodgy.
Today I will be mostly driving my new grinder back to France from Sussex. Boat leaves newhaven at 10 then 6 hr drive to home.
God,I love new stuff! Sometimes I just stick my head in the back of the van to smell it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 34
I looked at a dead fir for for another contract climber after work. He's supposed to be doing the job but wanted my opinion on it. Kind of an awkward situation then. Not a nice tree either. Its about 130-140 maybe. Dead probably 5-10 years. Leaning towards and probably about 50 ft from a house, lots of smaller trees underneath and wires on the back side. Looks like you would need to climb.at least 80 ft before you could top it, that and some how get a tag line 20ft above that point so to pull it at 90 degrees from the house. Pretty rotten up there though. Unfortunately the ground slopes down hill in that direction and is full of trees, so a poor line angle and visibility etc. I told him straight off to just let me do it as a one off....and I'd make myself unavailable if his client were to asked me to work for him again. I said you don't need to be doing this shit so early in your career (he early 20s). He wants to do it though, for the experience. Id like him to succeed also.... but in a slowly, surely kind if way. Last thing I said tonight was that if he gos ahead, but has any doubt's during....to get down and walk away. Its not worth it.

Thursday I think we have a big dead cotton wood to slay. I don't use the word big very often.

I've learned that when certain old loggers around here call me for a "big" tree it'll be big when I get there.

My one new employee flaked out on me. So I'm back to double duty. Boss and employee. Not the 1st time, been a week and a half so far and I can start to see burnout on the distant horizon.

75% of the time, when someone around here says big, I get there and the tree is less then 50 feet tall.

Hahaha, I know, one little old lady said that her tree was at least 1000 feet tall.
And what is it with people always wanting you to know the distance around the tree? I ask them for the diameter and it's like they don't even know what the word means, I have to explain to them what diameter means.
It's all the people like that that make me unprepared for the one old dude that says his tree is big and it actually is.
I had this old lady who called me wanting me to rescue her giant Parrot from the top of a tree. She said it was at least 100 feet up there. I was thinking, "yeah right."
When I got there, it was sitting on top of the tallest tree in the neighborhood. 120 feet up.

Yeah I love those 200 foot tall 80 footer calls.......

We had a reality listing from one of the local gals that claimed a 100 foot tall oak over the house as a selling point......
Ummm yeah.... sure... :lol:
Mayyyyyyyyyyybeeeeeee 60
Nice spread though...

I've been driving silage truck the last couple of days. Pretty boring, but working in a lot of peoples backyards can be interesting. Was driving along the other day and the door on the back of a house opened up and a boy and girl about 10-12 years old come running out in boxing gloves and head gear and proceeded to bash each other all over the damn place for about 20 minutes.:lol: That's one way to get kids out of the house in the summer.:/:

I typically go with coffee only for breakfast then water all day then two or three dinners between when I get home and 1:00 am when I go to bed.

Quit lyin, you don't go to bed every nite at 1am:/:

In terms of sleep and what not, ya know how some folks purposely get stung by bees for the supposed health benefits (arthritis relief etc)? Well I got stung on the temple a couple days ago by a wasp, no big deal, a few screams, a little running:whine:. That night I woke up at midnight but would have sworn it was around 5am till I saw the clock. So went back to sleep, woke up at 4am feeling fresh so got up and did work till work at 7am. I wonder if the unusual sleep pattern had anything to do with the sting/venom.

Interesting thought, Cory. I read that one of the ingredients in the highly toxic Giant Asian Wasp venom is put into an energy drink. It must be synthesized, the way that overstressed salary men gobble down energy drinks, someone would have to be out there killing a lot of those deadly wasps. Milking wasp venom, what a job!

Back