How'd it go today?

Spent Sunday fire fighting, 5500ha fire two hrs. NE from us. They are starting to call in brigades from further out to come in for the day or a couple for relief.
Two divisions, six sectors...4wd only, hilly terrain, ironbark and tea tree. dozers putting in tracks. Water point was a little creek we had to draught out of. Were told the worst hazard was falling trees and branches.
Our sector got flanked in the afternoon when the fire got away south of us, had to pull out on the fallback road. Safe area was a paddock near a house, they had a big portable collar dam set up, we watched the helicopters come in and dip and fill their buckets...cool!
12 hr shift. Caught up on sleep today.

Likely a good experience sharing hard work like that with similarly trained people. Keep your head and eyes on the swivel out there, Bermy.

Likely a good experience sharing hard work like that with similarly trained people.

Working with skilled peers...miss it.

I am sooooo looking forward to more space. I am so cramped.

Ah, the unwanted text message while getting ready for work. Groundman's car isn't starting, He lives a good way away. Luckily, what I have on board for today and tomorrow are all easy enough solo. I don't want to rake or chip, but, its only a bit. If I have to rake and chip a bit, I'm definitely going to Wraptor my way to 60-70', top of canopy raise height, where I've got a line already in, from the last day.

One oak stump to shallow grind (growing inches over the concrete. YAY!) in a tight spot against shrubs.

There are times where I just want to give up on tree work and business ownership. Go back and get another degree. A friend, who I suspect I could outcompete scholastically, has a two year x-ray tech degree, making $27/ hour (5 years ago), plus retirement and benefits, in a cheaper market. Low-risk, low wear and tear. I'm probably not built for indoor work, though.

Then, there are times where I get invited to take of Thanksgiving week and go on a road trip. I don't have to check my Vacation balance, based on my body being in the right space at the right time, not quality of work, or that I kicked ass and took names. .

Be careful Fiona, and good luck.

Sean, I feel your pain. Although I don't do full time tree work, I find myself thinking what if from time to time. And I always have to remind myself that office and desk life isn't who i am. I could have stayed in school and been an engineer, but I would have killed myself by now dealing with a pc work environment and math problems under fluorescent lights until in 65. I am spoiled that in my normal job I'm surrounded by skilled craftsmen (usually lol), but I still occasionally have to pick up the slack from either an inexperienced or sometimes just lazy individual. I guess I'm trying to say the grass isn't always greener lol. Maybe figuring out a side business or rather a different service or product might be beneficial to keep you relaxed and not burned out as bad. That's what trees are for me kinda, and I personally find it helps to mix it up from time to time. Keeps the mind sharp and flexible

Last edited:
I was impressed with the organization of the Incident Management on the fire...Lots of comms happening so even though we were off in another sector we could hear what was happening, and check the maps we were issued, so we had a heads up quite a bit before we were told to bug out.
Also all the trucks have GPS trackers, that were being monitored at the staging area.

IN another life, I would have loved to be a full-time Firey or SES officer.

Last good employee I had went to a union Iron Working gig for 3 years, averaging $40-50/ hour overall, because of so much mandatory overtime.

I was talking to my mom earlier. She said she hopes I find someone good. I said I won't hold my breath, but hope I find better way of dealing with bad employees. Less chances, I think.
I'm curious how many thousands of dollars it going to cost me for dummy to have tried to close the tool box with his face. I should have just given him the $500 he owed me, and not had him work it off, as he asked.

Casey got his car computer fixed, and he's ready to go tomorrow. He's hungry for work.

All I need is one good employee who can be trained to be a real groundman. Additionally to one good employee and iron, I can have dum grunts/ brush monkeys, as needed. At the least, a safe laborer who can follow directions.

Speaking of small iron, the Wraptor is still a great investment, which paid back today. Like so many people have said, replacing people with iron is critical.

Next tool, power broom, but it has to be special ordered to get the rubber version, not bristle. 1-2 weeks after I order it.
I think a new micro Echo top handle is coming, too. Save my sore shoulder while I'm working on rehabbing it.

Turns out his voluntary breathalizer (??) that he's had for 6 years had the computer memory fill up and need to be cleared. I just asked if he thought he know what was wrong, in case I could help troubleshoot. He just told me the truth about it. He said he had it removed today, so it won't be a problem ever again. Maybe I don't ever have to worry about him being hungover. Doesn't smoke, chews. Don't know about weed for sure. I asked him if he had a lighter the other day for a propane torch. He basically said he has no use for a lighter, so no.).

Mister toolbox-face, on the other hand...

Been suffering with restricted movement and pain in my left shoulder for a month or so, just about getting through the day, but exhausting and slow. Been putting off going to the docs.

Then Friday I was getting out of the van after arriving at the job, I had Igor on an extendable lead and as he hopped out he saw a cat and took off like a swordfish.

As the slack was taken up my shoulder took the full force of a fox terrier at full pelt and left me writhing on the ground in agony. The hired man recaptured Igor while I spent 10 minutes regathering myself.

You know what? I think its done some good! Still very sore but less painful, I have more movement and can sleep better.

Ive got a chiropractic dog.

Wraptor, Mick, Wraptor and APTA. Money well spent IMO, and IME today with my sore shoulder. Roger Barnett is still climbing and he's almost 70, been wraptoring for years.

Better yet, get yourself a trained cat, and open a clinic with Igor.

too bad. I was wondering.

An overhead TIP, with or without a rope walker as the situation fits, can take a lot of work off the shoulder. Do you use them? I recall you mostly do take-downs so spurs a plenty.

I've had a hard time gathering what kind of trees and settings you work in, Mick. Tree pics around the world are always cool.

Thanks Gary. 30Ft wild black cherry, all the brush and wood including 4 3inch limbs off a manitoba maple in 4 trips between the houses, trip saver for sure!

Mick, hope you get better. Ouch.

Sean, hope this guy works out. You need a break.

I'm off to look at a 24hp befco chipper, with feed. Hope it works out. I'm booked up 2 weeks out with tree work, and need to do clean up on some jobs.

If I knew 10 years ago when I started, what I know now about the tree industry, you would not see me here. Such is life.

His car is still messed up.

Interesting. I would not have changed a thing. I love working and climbing in trees and will be sad when my time runs out.

That's when you're a dumb shit and rather than close the canopy's fold-down tool box when working in tight areas for safety, which repeatedly occurred to him, you smash your face on the steel toolbox, opening up a gash, going to hospital, and take money out of Dahlia's college fund.

Dave, you're lucky to have a very intelligent professional co-worker, who is probably as invest in safety and knowledge as you, not dum laborers.

Back