How'd it go today?

Work has been a bit hectic, workers absent, under priced jobs, long days etc. Luckily it's not usually like this so all good.
For the last 3 or so years I've been working closely with a chipping contractor, Matt. Hes a really nice guy and its been great to have him around. As my business has grown I'd moved towards buying my own rig and promised to keep him updated as events unfolded- I'd found a chipper to buy and was going to store it until I got my cdl and a truck.
Yesterday Matts chipper was having what appeared to be major issues, we thought it was the clutch. Assuming he would be off for at least a week I fast tracked buying my chipper and arranged to hire a truck off the seller. I did what I had to do but broke my word doing it.. thats business.

Nah, the plugs don't match. Possible I could use him and his truck just to spray into if its a bigger job and theres no mulch drop nearby... I've been trying to convince him to take on his own tree jobs but hes a bit docile in that respect, just wants to chip- which is fine but you need a bigger rig to get consistent work
Nice to meet you Skwerl, seems you have quite the rep around here :thumbup:

Thanks, Chris. Just doing my best to fit in with all the awesome people here. Many of the best people I've ever met are here on this forum.

A pleasure to meet you as well. :)

With me being the piece of shit I am I have been telling my gf and her son that they have a lawn mower. Not a rock mower stick mower or stump mower. A lawn mower. Shitty of me to point that out. GF had to spend $30O on a new mower. Old one didn't agree with a stump. 2ft into a rock garden. Duh.

In all fairness, Peter, lawn mowers can get away from you. Once I saw a guy go off an edge and totally sink one in an irrigation canal. He went in after it.

Me? No, my mower almost went into the drink too, but I caught it and only bent the handle. Not your average home owner's mowers though. These have multiple gears in either direction and climb steep embankments.

OK...I remember the story but thought it was you that got wet. I remember it sounded dicey cutting around the rice paddies (I think it was rice paddies).

Ouch Jay! Naw, this is a push mower. They pushed it over a rock boarder into a rock garden to cut down weeds and found a stump.

Right, Gary, rice fields. I think i deleted those photos to try not to remember that job. It's that time of year again though. :/:

Peter, i think I would be a little incredulous too if it was a push mower. Could they have been listening to their favorite rock and roll song at the time?

Yes. Hope so as well.

I remember my friend in high school telling me about mowing through a ditch with a push mower. Somehow it got away from him and rolled back over his foot. Took the top of his sneaker off with no damage to his foot. Sobering even for me as a kid.

A training partner of mine lost his toes to a lawn mower.
Didn't improve his karate any.

I actually had a nice, courteous encounter with a Sheriff's Deputy just now.

Mom called and said a car had wrecked on our road. Went and checked it out, had my jump kit in case someone was hurt.

No one around so I called it in.

Deputy came out and looked it over. Nice, pleasant fellow.

Yes, sir....thank you sir......have a nice day sir.

Nice guy.

Can't help that reaction, I think.
As in: " What the f. did I do wrong"

Got pulled over in San Francisco a couple of years ago.
Lights, siren and all.
Guy claimed I ran a semi red light, which I most likely did.
They change much slower here, so it takes a bit of practice to get used to Ca traffic lights, just like it takes a bit to get un-used to doing a "right on red" when I come back.

I told him that I was driving an unfamiliar car, in an unfamiliar city after a 12 hour plane ride, so could he maybe give me a break.

He ended up driving ahed of me to show me the way out of the city, going north.

That really made my day:)

Back