How'd it go today?

I actually wonder what that might need to be, camping within a stone's throw of the US/Mex. border, these days. Any advice from recent experience...love to hear it.

I hear you, Jim...and you too, Butch. I have thought a lot about a carry firearm these last few years.

So far, I'm more of a blade packing sort. Here's my everyday defense knife...

EVO - Serrated | Gerber - https://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Folding/EVO-Titanium-Coated-Knife_22-41432. A flick blade is a fearsome weapon in knowledgeable hands.

That will be the case there too, as it is here every day.

I can go almost anywhere with this beast clipped in my pocket. I'm not happy about the idea of using it to hurt another human being, but I have no qualms about doing so to keep my love M, or my friends, or myself, or even some innocent bystander, from harm should some one wish anyone in that group harm.

Frankly, my aluminum walking pole is a deadly weapon in the hands of a trained person...and I am both equipped with the same, and trained by a father who never would tell me how he learned the skills with a stick that he passed on to me when I was a youngster.

Last edited:
Burnham, I am always a little jealous of your camping trips. Although I know we can count on some good pictures when you return.

Travel day for me. Gotta go 250 miles to the other end of my turf/Washington State and do tree work there for the week. Gonna pack up the wagon and go west!

Burnham, I am always a little jealous of your camping trips. Although I know we can count on some good pictures when you return.

I expect there will be pictures, Shawn. You don't do too shabby on your camping and hiking outings either, my friend.

Travel day for me. Gotta go 250 miles to the other end of my turf/Washington State and do tree work there for the week. Gonna pack up the wagon and go west!

It's an interesting blend you've concocted for yourself.

We'll have to grab a beer or whatever some time coming or going.

Got this beast ready to line out tomorrow. Had to fell a pondo that was next to it. It fit in the hole since it was skinny and brittle. This Sugar has a serious spread to it. 48" Dbh. Try and get some vid.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1516671397025.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516671397025.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 33
Kinda looks steep!

Had a guy start climbing today. Went pretty well.
Tried to just let him do it his way first day with me, since its far from his first day. A little dicey here or there. Stubs, spurs and flipline. Crotch and elbow and jump a limb with his flip line.

He wanted to chunk everything down as firewood, but we had a rigging point for 4 maple trunks right over the only drop zone. I ran the rope. I think he got more comfortable as the day went on. He's used to NC self-lowering most stuff, not relying on low-training ground guys.

Minor things that got worked out along the way.

We have a nice log pile right where it needs to be.

My favorite employee is back FT now. No more ironworking in his immediate future. Skipping 4 hours of commute, off the clock, in the company van to the shipyard.

His last 5-week stint was the last for that company at the shipyard. He said the company lost $4M on a previous ship they were working on, and might be economically sinking. A shame after 60-70 years in business.

It has to be a good feeling to have a good crew. My dad helps me a lot and while he is great help he always seems to be on the phone or bullshitting the homeowner...

Cursed, that?s a dandy sugar pine. I wouldn?t mind seeing that video.

Back