How'd it go today?

Love my Duramax. Not so fond of the POS electrical nightmare it lives in. Typical GM crap electrical problems. This month it's a bad gauge cluster. On a truck with only 60K miles.

Well, I hope his glow plugs are not burned out.

After they burn out they tend to mushroom and make removal difficult.

Its best to have your system working properly.

Yes, some engines use a manifold heater quite successfully. Like a Duramax......which is easily the best diesel......

Duramax? Last time I looked under the hood of one of those it appeared gm hadn't even figured out where the batteries in a pickup go yet? I was all like Butch. Derped out.

And yes let's hope Peter has no expanded glow plugs. That would be nasty.

Duramax? Last time I looked under the hood of one of those it appeared gm hadn't even figured out where the batteries in a pickup go yet? I was all like Butch. Derped out.

And yes let's hope Peter has no expanded glow plugs. That would be nasty.

I would expect nothing less from someone who relies on something that is just a step up from steam driven.

I'd lip yah off. But with some of the gun stuff you've posted you could probably wing me from your place with the right tail wind.

Let just say, Ford rules the roost here. :drink:

Do not, I repeat, do not use a heat gun. I caught my air filter on fire using one once. Hair dryer. Extra points if you steal the wife's good one lol

Heh. You wouldn't be the first person I've ever pissed off. :D

Nahhh. Trucks ain't worth sh-t. Espescially not worth fighting over. Orrr I meant your truck anyway. I've got fords!

:P

Thankfully the 7.3 idi has good access, injectors and glow plugs are on top. Stoopid me I haven't taken my multimeter from the shop to the truck yet. I'm gonna buy a magnetic block heater tomorrow, plug 'er in.

Hot air.... I'll definatly give that a try.

Yes it does. I'm unreasonably scared it will leak after I use it. I'll get a magnetic block heater anyway, I could use it on other equipment, but I will check and inspect the factory heater.

Thankfully no. They got into the gravel on the shoulder on a corner, overcorrected and flipped it. Landed on the wheels, Ambos took care of the occupant, Bit of soil onto the oil, blow some glass off the road and gone. 'Whisper'...so far so good in Tasmania...

Unfortunately there have been at least 21 deaths on the mainland this Christmas season...bad, bad crashes.

That is sad news Fi....

I added some winter additive to the f350 diesel a couple days ago, and have started it everyday for a couple hourd. -23c today and it fired up on it's own. Must have taken a bit of time to mix the additive in the tank. Seems block heaters are hard to come by around these parts.....

Just a tip. Works for me sometimes.
Key on the glow plugs about 3x before you turn it over. I have also been told using starter fluid on a diesel is eventually bad news. Burns to damn hot and hurts pistons and rings.

Is there too much pre-heating, aside from draining the battery/ batteries.

My mini is my only diesel. I'm a diesel -newb.

Going to the Boxer dealer. When the lead mechanic made a field visit, he suspected that too much sealant on the hydraulic inspection port (s) covers (slight stalagtite- shape) dropped into hydraulic tank, explaining the mysterious, since-new, negative-pressure on the hydraulic supply hose from the atmospheric-pressure tank to the pump. I just had significant collapse in the hydraulic hose...#3. He thinks a screen in the tank is getting plugged, possibly intermittently.

Under 300 hours.

Hoping the dealer (Bailey's) or manufacturer will cover the repair.

Oh, and the second hydraulic hose for the hydraulic oil cooler is leaking. It's a tight U-shape. Wonder if it's just bad design or what? Clamps are bottomed out. Held up for 100-150 hours.

The mechanic said restricted flow shouldn't damage the pump. Thoughts?

Modem glow plugs should be able to handle multiple preheats. Earlier plugs, the GM 6.2 for example, would fail if the controller stuck on. The chunks of glow plug would stick in the piston and punch a hole in the head, or break the piston.

Restricted flow will harm a pump by overheating it. You reallllllllllyyyyyyyy don't want stuff floating around in hydraulic fluid, I would pull that screen asap and check if you are getting negative pressure on a return line

The mechanic said restricted flow shouldn't damage the pump. Thoughts?
On the outlet of the pump, no worries, it's made for that. It just loose some efficiency.
But on the inlet of the pump, it could be really bad: the pump works by sucking up the oil, so basically it tends to put the hose in negative pressure, only slightly if there's no restriction, fine. But with a restriction, bend hose, clogged intake, oil too viscous..., the depression increases until almost the void and that's bad news for the pump because the cavitation appears and destroys the internal surfaces of the pump. The mechanism can no longer work properly with a massive internal leak, heavy friction and wear. Bits of steel and aluminum are send in all the system, damaging the other components.

Facilitating the oil intake is a big point, it makes the pump's life easier, therefore it lasts longer. Some of hydraulic systems have a secondary pump only for the purpose of feeding properly the main pump.

I’m not a big fan of restricted oil flow to the pump either. Bad deal. Mis diagnosed problem.

On another subject, I properly diagnosed the family with having the flu ( type b) two days ago but we had to load everyone up and visit the doctor so she could agree with me. It’s dark now and I’m thinking I might split wood all night just to stay out of the contaminated area. That’ll teach me to take a week off work to be with the family

Back