How'd it go today?

Possibly I suppose. I'm thinking a bigger generator could come in handy though. It wasn't something I was rigging up last night though.

I've mentioned in the past that we rarely ever have any sort of sustained power outages. That 10-11hr one yesterday is the longest power outage I've certainly ever had at this home(last eight years or so). So it does make it sort of hard to justify buying a new generator.

Yes...but if you have a large deep freeze full of food, one time keeping that from going bad could pay for itself.

We don't have one. Power outages are not too uncommon here. Longest I can recall off the top of my head was 5 days. That long is rare, but half a day, or a day...once or twice a year. A few hours is several more times a year.

Being without power doesn't inconvenience us much at all, if it's less than a couple of days.

Yah I've got loads and loads of berries in my deep freeze. As well as some meats and whatnot. I was doing the math last night and you're right Burnham the cost of the spoiled food alone (let alone the mess/inconvenience) could quite quickly justify the cost of a generator.

I will probably keep an eye on the classifieds, look for a deal.

Here we have natural gas so a propan one wouldn't be that useful to me. I'd have to fill bottles instead of jerry cans.

But here it's not a tank of natural gas, it's just hooked to the suppliers line.

I hear what you're saying though. It'd be unlikely to lose power and gas I think. As long as there was some sort of dual fuel option so I could still burn gas if needed, that would be ideal.

I think we have different definitions of " Heavy pulling", Mick.

We use a 22 ton Dyneema rope and a specially made porty to anchor it to.
Said porty just got pulled apart, I have to meet up with a metal worker on friday to have an even bigger one made.

The bollard is much, much better. The grapple will get beat up, and has a hugely tight bend-radius. You can attach to it easily, lift by driving back, then lower out on the bollard. It make it a lot more versatile.

Pushing spikes, like the BMG has, are a good add-on. Wish the grease fitting/ Zerk was more protected on the BMG, all around, but definitely near the pushing spike.

You will rock it even harder with those simple mods.

BrendonV used to have a hydraulic capstan on his bmg that allows pulling from a stationary point, but he sold it. I've always thought that it would be pimp to have a capstan on the mini. His experience took him the other way.

Justin your freezer should be fine if you don't open it for 24 hours. Also toss a bunch of blankets on top if you think the outage will last a while. Not that I'm trying to tell you not to get a bigger generator, just throwing out thoughts for the time being.

I don't know what's going on this year. Shoot on the chipper cane unpinned yesterday and smacked a pole so I stayed up all night fixing it 20171016_173538.jpg 20171016_173538.jpg 20171016_220603.jpg
Some guy pulled out in front of my wife and kid later that day and now our truck is totaled (No injuries) but spoiler alert, I'm not getting shit for it. Then we bought my buddy's truck cause we use it all the time at work anyway. We told him he can keep the truck till he finds a car. He buys a car the next day and the engine seizes on the truck. All I got now is the chip truck and that 350 dump I just bought. Can't fit the family in either. I think I coulda cried earlier if I wasn't so dehydrated .lol
On the plus side the new shop is working out great!!

Storm waves all week. 90-100' hemlock snag that wasn't catching any appreciable wind, tucked behind a bunch of tall firs that were blowing a lot up top, bending to and fro. Throwline, pull line, wedges, sharp saw. Put on the ground, only, payment made, grocery shopping, and home for dinner.

I don't know if I know he uncle personally or not, but he referred me to her. She gave me his number, telling me to call him, as he will never get around to it, busy running a seafood operation on the Sound. He's got work, too. He's the neighbor to a long-term customer (elderly widow in her geodesic dome home who sells beautiful flowers at the local store, benefiting my friends cat/ kitten rescue). Small Olympia.

Damn Page. Thank goodness your family is ok. Just keep thinking about that. I had the exact same thing happen with my 250xp. Although it didn't come unpinned it was left unpinned by an employee. Swung out and smacked a pole just the same, smooshed the end real good. I hope you catch a break on the transportation. Tough.

Rich I did notice that even though I was panicky that nothing was near defrosted, made me wonder how long it could go but didn't really want to find out. I did also cover the freezer with blankets as soon as the power went out.

Been a busy couple of days.

We shipped calves yesterday. They were bought on the video sale so we just had to deliver them to town. Two loads.

Load of big steers went 599....sold at 620. That is within our thirty pound grace weight.

Second load was the small steers and small heifers. The steers went almost 500 and the heifers went near 450.

That was quite a bit lower than we sold them. Turns out that Jenn did not adjust the weight on the light calves. Sold them the same as last year.

She sold the big steers quite a bit lighter because I told her that the dry year was going to kick our ass......I guess she forgot about the light ones!

Today we preg tested the cows.

They were 4% dry. Very good for a normal year, let alone a dry year.

Had quite a few breed really early. The flipping bulls got out for an afternoon and bred about 60! Not sure what we will do with them.

The main bunch bred up nice. It was a big test for us this year now that we plan on calving much later. First of May instead of March.

Breeding during the hottest part of the year and during an extreme drought.......turned out well. We worked our asses off hauling water and setting up intensive grazing practices.

Back