How'd it go today?

Yup, it's a skilled trade for sure. Very handy too, because you can get things flat by using this method (ie heads, engine blocks, etc.), and not use a machine shop. It was a skill that all good mechanics had back in the day. It's also useful for bearings and the like. The scraping process removes something like .0001 of an inch at a time, and for machine bed ways, the microscopic divots hold oil, so the mating surfaces can glide on each other. Even cheaper machines are still usually finished with a powered process called flaking, to make even deeper holes for oil. You can actually get stuff so smooth and flat this way that you could, technically, make gage blocks that stick together. Here's a vid I found that explains it better than I can.
https://youtu.be/REeGn4hN1Bg

Update, I wiped the tears away, and this morning me and the hired man set to bending, pushing, scratching our chins etc.

We got it working as good as before, it’s a little mashed up cosmetically on the inside but certainly not worth dropping a grand to fix.

So thanks for the advice.

maintained the 4.0........helluva semester.

got a clinical rotation in the VA next semester....psyched for that. less then a year to go!

Good show, Mick! Feels good to dodge that bullet.

Jon...good to see that 4.0. You gotta be blowin' some folks/classmates minds.

Medical ICU. Im pretty sure she just go her crn too, bunch of abbreviations after her name now. :lol: Theres lots of places to go, with it. I think her goal is managment or education. Shes in school for something to do with nurse education now.

All those brains but she sure makes me scratch my head sometimes :O

Still getting caught up, congrats John on the new career path. Still have and use the ropes you sent me when I was whining about not having any gear.

My day went good, new block heater and power steering hose in my van cost a lot less than I thought it would. I topped off the fluid twice a month for 3 years which sounds really pathetic now that I've typed it.

Mik, nice going. It's a great feeling when you DIY and don't have to pay da Man.

I've been spending the last two days pruning fruit trees.
My own.
I've tried to re-prune the cherry trees, to fit the kind of weather we have now.
Global warming has really set in here. No frosty winters, but logging in mud and all we have is rainy summers.
This fall was the wettest in 33 years.

I used to prune for maximum fruit, but since they got rained away the last 3 years, I've tried to open the trees up a lot more, to get better air circulation.
It probably won't help, but what else can I do.They do look like shit right now, though.
Anyway, when you have 45 fruit trees, it takes a while to get through them.
I felled 2 apple trees of a variety that my x-wife loved and nobody else wants to eat and a cherry that never did any good.

Shitty weather, of course. 50 degrees Fahrenheit and rain.
Yesterday all 5 dogs were hanging out around the door, trying to get me to understand that only mad dogs and arborists go out in this kind of weather.

Nice to get it done, though.

We have a saying here about the farrier's horse and the shoemaker's kids always having the worst shoes.
Goes for the arborist's trees, too:lol:

Back