How'd it go today?

We have a storm warning for tomorrow with snowfall potential of 2" per hour and possible freezing rain. Heard it could be worse in your area, Jim. Are you ready?

Been getting ready today.

Worked on my transfer pump so I could fuel up the road patrol in case we get snowed in.

I think we will be ready.

Supposed to get about a foot of new snow and lows anywhere from 20 to 30 below.

Not terribly windy though....which will be a nice change.

I should ask you a question since I have you on the line.....

In October we got that big snow that wrecked all those trees. The branches that did not break did eventually straighten back out.

We have a little snow on the trees now, but its a light, dry snow. You would swear that there was a foot of heavy wet snow on them for how the branches are all bent down again.

Did the fibers in the branches get damaged by that early snow so now they can support any weight?

The keep full method works in theory. Good thing you got a couple or three cord of cottonweed as a supplement if shit gets nasty.
If I ever see -20 or colder I will go outside that day for a few hours just to experience what you have to deal with.

Layers, lots of layers for -2 here, can't even imagine Jim's temp's.

Trying to psych myself up to drive to Sydney, got some things to get sorted. At least it's not 112F this week just 92 today and 78 here. Supposed to cool of for a while down there.

It's 9F here and IMHO it is freaking cold. Worked yesterday and day before in similar temps- to actually make money at those temps is very challenging imo. Lawns hard as concrete though is a major plus.

20-30 below??? I don't even know. Where are the cows, in the barn??

My sister had a few still out in the meadow until a few days ago. They came back to the barn just before the brook froze up. I call them free grazers because they have no respect for fences. They showed up at the sawmill a couple days ago.:lol:

20171226_154244.jpg

No, out on pasture yet.

I get it, they're rugged and they're animals, but they can take 20-30 below?? Doesn't look like there's any manmade or natural shelter out there.

If they can take those temps, well, that is extremely impressive. We aren't talking polar bears here.

If they are not too skinny, temps like that should be no problem, since they'll have some body fat to burn for heat.

Plus, maybe they can take it for a day or two, but prolonged exposure could be the end of them?

The country looks flat, but there is always some terrain relief around somewhere.

If a cow has cover and something to eat they are fine all winter.

40 to 50 below is no problem....as long as they have sufficient calories and protection from the wind.

They probably do some good huddling. Individuals rotating out of the windy spots, maybe. Other animals do, IIRC.

Good call. I think musk oxen do that huddling/wind thing

The country looks flat, but there is always some terrain relief around somewhere.

If a cow has cover and something to eat they are fine all winter.

40 to 50 below is no problem....as long as they have sufficient calories and protection from the wind.

Wow, cool info. Good to know.

I screwed up on PPE yesterday.
Not in a big way, but I was splitting wood and had put the wrong boots on.
I have 2 pairs of Blundstones, one with steel caps and one without.
As I was working, I realized I'd put the wrong pair on but was too lazy to go change it.
A large, maybe 50 pds, hunk of beech slipped out of my hands and now my left big toe is the most spectacular purple color.

It hurts to be stupid:lol:

I think there is a song about that. I think it’s called “if you’re gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough”. Not saying you’re dumb by any means Stig. Song just popped in my head when I read that. I was actually debating leaving my keens on to go split wood but I’m gonna switch to my redwings so I’m not in the same boat as you.

Funny, I was thinking of that song when I wrote it.

Great minds....................:lol:

Sounds like your toe and my finger are in the same boat. I give it another 2 weeks before I catch it on something and tear it off. Be careful putting your socks on...

I missed out on 2 years of logging and now that I'm back they make me dress like a damn Canadian!!! ;)

IMG_4317.jpg

Back