How'd it go today?

Did one small removal this morning and into the back yard for a pair of silver maple reductions. Fairly large trees but in decent shape for silvers. I was talking with the property owner a bit at lunch and he said he only lives there in the summer. Spends about nine months in the keys. Next thing I know he says that Dot Palm is the tree service he uses down there. World got a bit smaller to me at that moment. Nothing but praises about them.:thumbup:

I was thinking to do that anyway. Up here it's like a mortar mixer or wood splitter, 80km/hr roadways. It wouldn't be legal on major hiways, 100km/hr.a

That must be an Ontario thing. Here in Bc it would need to be registered and insured. And probably inspected to get regi in the first place. If you tow a unregistered/uninsured trailer in BC it not only is eligible for a hefty no insurance fine it negates the tow vehicles insurance as well.

It is province to province up here as to the requirements. So Peter is probably fine where he is as long as that's the rules. BC is strict about having insurance, nkthing legally rolls down a public road uninsured.

New groundman can't work today, his dad is back in the Intensive Care Unit.

I've got the first stage of a head-cold, that could probably use some rest and relaxation.

Dahlia turns out to be sick, and not going to school. Its probably going to be short-attention-span-theater around here today, and I'll be looking for some adult conversation/ discussion.

Another weather front coming in today. Probably significant rain.

All worked out, in a way.

Yesterday, it was strong rain in the morning, then super beautiful, sunny and warm. Did a quick job of limbing up a cedar so the customers can get a gravel truck in to tail-gate spread gravel on the driveway before the sloppy weather really hits, and the gravel truck will be dealing with mud. Turns out that this big cedar tree (5' dbh) is super hollow, multi-stemmed, and leaning strongly toward the well's pump building. Maybe strong-reduction coming. Small jobs so often can turn into big jobs.

I wanted to get my mini-loader out of the forest where I parked it last week, not wanting a root-diseased tree to come down on it, and also to be ready for emergency response, today. Since it was beautiful out, I skidded and bucked a lot of wood at the job with the rotten, rotten cherries right next to the house. So easy with the help of a BMG. Thank you Mr. TNT.

Mick, did you have a bollard welded on your grapple-boom? A big plus on BMG over Vermeer.

It's super handy for a fast easy pull line. A bollard can also be handy for light lowering(or hoisting), or for 'skidding' things that are out of reach due to access.

BC is strict about having insurance, nkthing legally rolls down a public road uninsured.

QaOD1zt.gif

Agree on the bollard.

You can always not use it.

My little ramrod had about 2200pds of tractive force. So I used it all the time for pulling tops, trees. Whatever. Just don't bite off Moe than the machine can chew. Or conversely don't pull to hard on tops.

You could pull it legally here.
But only at 30 km/h.

That gets old pretty quick.

I had two jobs cancel last minute today. Thankfully rarely to never happens. Als coincided with a 11hr power outage yesterday afternoon/night. So it works well for me.

We had a horrific windstorm in BC yesterday, at one point 120,000 customers without power. I imagine Reg will have some stories whenever he checks in. I heard the coast got hit hard.

I am thinking of investing in a decent sized generator. Seems power outages are becoming more and more common as the weather seems to be getting more extreme.

Depends how you do it I suppose. A bollard is midline attachable and zero wear and tear on the rope, and no knots. I guarantee it's way faster to hook up and unhook as well. I trust a ground person to take turns on a bollard midline with a rope much more so than I do to have them tie a midline knot around a grapple that will be secure, easy to untie, and not damage the rope at all.

Where the savings really shine is if it's in a situation where you need to repeatedly use the bollard for whatever reason.

I used the bollard quite a bit. Super handy IMO.

Heck yea, Justin - get a generator! As big as you can afford!

I'm curious about the propane ones...

Also as mentioned, handy for lowering out lighter stuff, or tensioning and then lowering. A portable always ready bollard has many uses. I've probably forgotten a bunch.

Heck yea, Justin - get a generator! As big as you can afford!

I'm curious about the propane ones...

I have a little (gas) one that will just run my deep freeze if I hold my mouth right. I have to get up every two hours to fuel it though. I hooked it up around 10 last night and when I got up at midnight(fun fun fun) and refuelled it I was just setting my next alarm for 2am when the power came back on.

Back