How'd it go today?

But it's true you go back and the thing's rotting away.

One less cut to make and log to load.

"Yes Ma'am! A planter would look good on it! How high did you want me to leave it? :)

I've got one for the end of October that is still in the air between husband and wife on the hieght. He wants it ground out. She wants a bird bath/ feeder height. Either way it is fine with me. I'd rather grind it out and see them replant something but if a bird sanctuary makes her happy than so be it.
I left a 60" cut at a predetermined elevation of 72" a few years ago so after they built the deck they could put a table top on it. The contractor marked it prior to my removal. He missed by 8" and paid very dearly to have me come back after he built the deck for that final cut. What some people are willing to pay to say they salvaged their old tree. I got no problem obliging.

We sold some heifers on an online type of deal. Rancher to rancher thing I guess.

They are headed to South Dakota. In order to cross state lines the Bangs tag needs to be read and marked down.

These heifers were just in the chute last week for preg checking. Had a couple of friends come out and help. Went well.

Tail end of them....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ePIAuGb19yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We often leave stumps high for carving. No skin off my nose.
Here are some pictures that sum up my weekend if you throw in tire purchases, heater cores, radiator hoses, alternators and multiple trips to the auto parts store in between estimates :|:

Attachments

• 20171001_134532.jpg
    20171001_134532.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20171001_134650.jpg
    20171001_134650.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20171001_134701.jpg
    20171001_134701.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20171001_134759.jpg
    20171001_134759.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 36
Been busy with work the last few weeks cutting hazard reduction trails and assist infirm disabled and elderly residents( AIDER) program with work. Still finding time to do my horse riding and volunteering at a Horse rescue place. The horse that I ride often gives me a sad face when it is time for me to leave
Syd sad.jpg WP_20161221_019.jpg WP_20161221_023.jpg

Nice looking critter. What's his name?

Big day for me today. A quick removal this morning then Ron and I are driving to Melbourne to go get my dump truck. 90 minute drive each way.

Will be a nice break after working all weekend chasing hangers at a couple office buildings. Worked 7-2 both Saturday and Sunday, arms are like rubber.

And when they change their mind, the stumps are SOOOOO easy to grind, nice and rotten.
By coincidence I've got two of those to do tomorrow.
Some other outfit took out the trees, I get the fun job of grinding the stumps that'll most likely turn to dust as soon as I get into them.
Client agreed to my price and he is not home, so won't know how fast I'll be done.
Nice to win one occasionally.

That's some cool stuff wood collector. 8). I had a good friend who was a elderly rider. She road well into her 90's and lived to 98. I was just riding with a couple a few weeks ago who he was 79 and she was not much younger. He unsaddled both their horses as any gentleman would. Both live off the grid entirely too and have for over forty years. Pretty amazing if you ask me. I felt honoured to be invited to ride with them.

I remember at one point where we stopped and cleared some trail(chainsaws and horses yee haw!) I looked back and right as the old timers horse was starting to act up from having to stand around a moment and all the cufuffle he smacked it with the end of the rain across the neck as he drawled, 'awww keep it to yourself'. Just struck me as hilarious at the time. The horse they told me was 27 and they'd had it for 23 years. Bought as a grade pack horse. Good times.

Got my new dump truck home, just walked in. Had a flat tire on the way home which cost us a couple hours but some lucky circumstances made it all work out fine. The valve stem was torn and Ron pulled off the road about 20 miles from nowhere. I called my house mover buddy who lived about 20 miles ahead in the direction we were going. He just so happened to be about 10 miles behind us heading home with a rebuilt boat motor in the back of his truck. We only waited about 10 minutes and he pulled up with a 20 ton bottle jack. We got the wheel off and headed to his shop because he thought he might have a spare tire/wheel but none of his were the right bolt pattern. Went across the road to Tires Plus and the guy changed my valve stem for free.

Still a long day but somebody up there was looking out for me. The truck runs and drives great, dump works well and is very heavy duty. Needs headlight lenses replaced and the rear end leaks slightly. Clutch engages near the floor and it's hard to get into reverse. Think I'll let my mechanic check that one out. I still got a heck of a bargain for what I spent.

Congrats on the truck, sorry she fought you on the way home. If you end up needing a clutch, switch out to the single mass flywheel, works great and is cheaper than the over engineered spring thing they came up with for it originally. If the truck makes a loud clunk clunk sound when you shut it off, the dual mass flywheel is broken (spring or bolt), and switching to a regular flywheel hurts nothing. The engineers added it to attempt to limit the torque spikes transmitted to the rest of the drivetrain, but actually using the truck for work negates any good it does. It's one of the most common mods done to the manual 7.3 trucks, and I love it. Not to mention they want like $700 bucks just for the dual mass flywheel itself, on top of the clutch, etc.

Bloody winter storm hit last night.

Power off since noon. Freezing snow and rain. Just now broke down and fired up the welder/generator. Warm the house up, cool down the fridge and freezers.

Road terrible....people in the ditch.

Power came back on about 4, for like 5 minutes. Just to give you hope.

Suspect we are in for it.

Been paging out the FD......not going to town unless its really serious.

Best of luck, Jim. Hope your power comes back on quickly. Still summer here, we won't see cool weather until November.

Thanks for the clutch advice, Kyle. No clunks or unusual noises. Other than not wanting to go into reverse easily it runs and drives darn near perfectly. I drove behind it and it sits square, tracks straight and true. Sounds great and only a light hint of diesel smell when driving behind it.

Np Brian, just trying to help because I just got done doing some of the exact same things. Ime, certain trucks or equipment all do the same things, as if the weak spots in building or designing them manifest in the same order more or less. Another thing to check would be the little plastic bushing on the clutch pedal, and the little plastic cap on the end of the shift rod where it touches the clutch fork. The zf5 tranny I know isn't adjustable, and without those little plastic pieces it won't shift right. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will serve you well, even though you will have minor things you will have to fix over time. It's still my opinion that I would rather have something older, more affordable, easier to work on, and tested by years of abuse than any of the newer stuff out there

Half of town is out of power.

The repeater is dead south of town.

The big town to the west is dead.......and I can't get a hold of my folks.

Be a good time to be a tree man. Trees down everywhere.

Second time we have had precip this year......

I hope you can get ahold of your folks soon. Save you some extra worring. Also hope you get your power back on soon. Nothing like walking around the house turning on light switches when you know darn good and well the power is out.

Back