How'd it go today?

Agree...and low limbs help the kids climb.

No climbable/structural low limbs would be likely to be removed. Leaving it as is now means it will be hacked hard later when it becomes egregiously overgrown. More frequent/smaller cuts are better than less frequent/larger hacks.

Trimming it correctly now will result in a fine looking, structurally more sound tree which looks natural and doesn't look like it was just trimmed. And it will be more inviting to climb because the interior canopy will be more open. Light trimming won't encourage excess sucker growth that hacking will cause.

Cory, I am guessing by the size and shape of that tree that it has already been let go too long. I love working on trees like that as long as I am allowed to work for the tree's benefit. All too often I will see such trees, "brought into shape", only to become less healthy and sometimes fall apart shortly thereafter.

Cory, I am guessing by the size and shape of that tree that it has already been let go too long. .

Agreed. Jimbo was too busy melting solid steel and hurling lead downrange to bother with a tree of all things.

Nevertheless, don't you think it would be easy and beneficial to clean it up?

Didn't you know forests die without a Board Certified Master Arborist on call 24/7 Jimbo?

The horror.....

Jomo

Depends on whether the branches bearing fruit are primary, secondary or tertiary wood Jimbo?

Has your tree been whacked back like an army recruit?

Jomo

Depends on whether the branches bearing fruit are primary, secondary or tertiary wood Jimbo?

That makes it clear as mud for Jimbo, I'm sure. Why don't you give him the latin name while you're at it. What about those double helical limbs with the apical dominance and pesky adventitious buds?? He should be advised of those too.

Jim your tree appears to be growing like a weed. As in, strongly. It will no doubt keep growing strongly. If you trim it a bit, it will make it fit better in the yard, look better, and less likely to fail structurally from unrestrained growth creating limbs that are so big and long that they will break under their own weight sooner or later.

....You guys have me worried now with the "too long" comment.

Sorry, Jim. Your tree will, IMHO, most likely do better not being cut than it would if someone, especially if that someone is a rancher, were to try and "fix it" by cutting on it.

The "let go too long" comment was in regards to balancing branch structure and placement. Trees put on growth in a responsive manner to what they need combined with what they have to work with. It is very easy to structure a young tree as it grows with just a few small cuts. But when a tree, like your malus is left to fend for itself, sometimes anomalies in structure can occur that most arborists would take exception to. It can be hard to not cut something that is technically a potential problem even if the tree has corrected or at least compensated for it long ago.

Mom and Dad have a green ash in the back yard that is failing. Well, we call them green ash anyway.

I can see now that had we made it grow straight instead of being allowed to fork 4 feet up it would not have split in the crotch and failed.

It looked like a big Y.

Thanks for the explanation fellas.

I am going to plant some fruit trees in the back yard. I guess they have some hardy varieties of plums, pears and apples that work up here now.

They did a trial in Hinsdale Montana that worked pretty well.

I will make sure to post pictures and ask lots of questions when I get them planted.

Working on the daily driver, fixing the Ford disease (leaf spring hangers). Nothing like smelling those damn rubber bushings burning. First time I've taken the bed off to do one, wayyyyyyy easier that way:big-bat:

20170507_180018.jpg

Brother Jim...

I could make your tree look so nice...

AND!

I would allow you to oversee the scientific surgical cuts as I was making them, allowing your input before doing so.

How can you go wrong?

All I ask is a dinner feast, of your choosing.

But it has to be a FEAST!

77ee772ad425adce009ead9ea9108682.jpg

He's good for the feast no doubt. All you gotta do is get there.

And we all know Jim can cook!

I planted myself a plum tree this weekend. I can hardly wait for some fruit!

We had a crazy storm that knocked out power and zapped my router on Friday. So just getting back up and running here.

Back