How'd it go today?

Again, because I'm a curious sort, its been a couple of years now (maybe) I know you're doing well with the sweeping thing, but when the time was up and if you thought there was a market, would you consider getting back into it?

Not to be negative. But no. I wouldn't consider it.

Plowing, sweeping, and farming and more time at home.

I could count on both hands and feet the amount of times I would ride my horses when I still had my tree Service. Now i ride everyday it doesn't rain. 8)

I just don't want to mess with anyone's mojo here at The House. Treework and having a treeservice can be great and at times I loved it. Many things came into play to make me decide to sell out.

Of course.

I'm curious (and ask the questions) because I sit here and think to myself "what would your life be like if you didn't do trees?" I'm finding it difficult to imagine, sad I know!

I applied for a job as a salesman for a well known american tree equipment firm back in the UK, I never pursued it as the tax problem i was experiencing at the time worked it self out.

I could visualise myself doing that.

I should get some horses, I've got 8 acres of field, is that enough? can I learn to ride at 53? (just trail riding, nothing risky)

Of course anyone can ride Mick. Horses are hugely expensive and take a real commitment. I mean you have to really want to have them to make it worthwhile IMO if you have no 'job' for them. I have 10.8 acres and my hayfield is about seven acres. Off of two cuts a year i get about 800 50-60lb bales. I sell 200-300 a year and feed three horses and two donkeys. Part of the year they are onmanaged pasture that comprises most of the rest of my little land, and they also get turned out on the hayfield once the haying is done. You need fencing, barns, water, tack, trailer, and on and on for horses.

For me riding horses has really become my 'thing'. I've finally gotten good enough that I feel very adept and confident in my cues/riding and when you can start to become one(sounds goofy as hell even typed lol) with the horse riding goes to a whole new level. I'm not a spiritual guy. But the joy I get from riding is really something. From some of the most relaxing moments to exhilarating speed. I really enjoy it all.

I Don't bring it up a bunch here, well because it's a tree forum, not horses. But you either love horses and riding or you don't. And if you don't, having horses is hardly worthwhile IMO. Although I do know people that keep them just to have them and not really ride. Some must find great joy in the simple husbandry of having them I suppose. I like to make them sweat. Lol.

That's your best bet. Taking lessons is what helped me become a confident rider. Which is what it takes to be in control and have some fun. A good horse too. This time of year around here the sides of the paved roads are a nice soft gravel. Perfect for running a horse on. I've been legging up my beasts and running one of them that's a little 'uncontrollable' quite hard and fast. It's been exhilarating for me to take a horse that's wanting to gallop and letting her, and then asking for all she's got.

To clarify, I treat all my horses like athletes. They are well cared for, warmed up, exercised, and cooled out. They are a happy bunch(three of them). All eager to be ridden.

For those who followed my roping pursuits last year. Regular roping practices haven't started up yet this year. But my yellow horse who was lame a bunch last year finished off the fall sound and had the winter off and is sound as can be this spring.

. Although I do know people that keep them just to have them and not really ride. Some must find great joy in the simple husbandry of having them I suppose. I like to make them sweat. Lol.

I just keep them for the sex!

Justin, why don't you start a horse thread.
I'll be a happy contributor even though the kind of riding we do is very different.

My wife just spent 22 grand on having a practice area for dressage put in.
Costly hobby, but it sure keeps her happy and in good shape.

Good! My son has a similar winch...very handy.

We used it this week to lift the heavy end of this 714 pound piece of x-ray equipment. It is a strong winch.

Attachments

• 20170322_093442.jpg
    20170322_093442.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170322_101310.jpg
    20170322_101310.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 45
The first shot looks a bit like a very weirdly shaped person in full traction, lol

Woh. That bumper is sweet. I'm a Ford man through and through but I'll admit. That Chevy is making me a little weak. Lol.

Nice bumper!

53 is no way too old to learn to ride horses. I was younger than that when I taught myself, but I could have done it at 53. If you can ride everyday or at least frequently, after a few months you will be thinking of yourself as skilled at it, perhaps even if nobody else does. A few thrills and spills can be expected. I much grew to prefer bareback riding over using a saddle, if that is any way to measure ability at it. I suppose the riding aficionados might consider it uncouth, but it just felt a lot freer and more interesting. Lots of horsey hot sweat on your trousers though.

Back