How'd it go today?

Today went well enough. Got pissed off ar the walk behind mower that I'm giving away to someone in need. Damn thing is pouring gas through it. Bad valve in the carb but I'm not a mechanic. Gonna ask some questions tomorrow but I have the engine model and serial number on hand if I have to order parts. Why is it that when I try to help someone out, it cost me a couple hundred bucks?

My guess as well. Gonna tear it apart again but I think it might have a hole in it and filled up. Five years of sitting in my shed with old fuel coulda done it.

Got the day ruined by a faulty weather report.
They had promised sun and no wind, so we set out to spray, only to have it rain instead.
Didn't even have a backlog of office work to keep me occupied.

I listen to the weather reports, but I always check the radar to see what's really going on.

I did check the radar, but the pesky rain cloud changed direction.

No big deal, A day off never killed anyone.

Jim, I think we have about the equal distance to the nearest bar.
Also, I don't much like bars. Never did. Always seems to be some asshole looking for a fight and I'm too stupid not to oblige him.

I don't much like people.

Never really did, which made me the perfect" lonely traveller" in those years of " Has chainsaw, will travel". I made my way around the world for about 12 years, mostly alone.
In fact, the only person I travelled with for any length of time ( About 2 years) whose company I really enjoyed, is the "Mail order bride".

I've often though that the friendships, that I have found here in the 'House, are mainly possible because they exist on the internet and we don't see each other every day in real life.

However, those members that I have visited with, have left me with a feeling of friendship, even though I met them in person.

Shit, I don't know. Hard to put into words.
I've simply never been a " People person" so for me bars were always an anathema.

I used to like pubs in the U.K. You can talk if you want, or sit in a corner and drink.

Over here they're a bit shit in comparison.

I'm with Bruce about the company thing.

"Don't make no difference what nobody says, ain't nobody likes to be alone"

The expense here gets me. It's about 3-5 times the cost vs sipping at home. Also drinking and driving is a big no no. I've got a one drink rule on myself if I'm piloting anything motorized.

I do, Mick.
Always did.
Never minde having just myself for company.

I lived on an abandoned farm in Northern Norway ( Above the polar circle) for a long time back in the 70es.
Back side of the fiord, no roads. Any visitors had to come by boat.

Nonetheless, I had a visit by the Jehova's witnesses once.
Sailed right into the fiord and up to my landing.

One neat thing about living there was that you could always spot incoming visitors in time to have hot coffee ready when they arrived.

The bad thing was that in times of unruly weater, I couldn't sail across the fiord to Narvenes, the only shop in the area for groceries.
Had some lean times when the wind was blowing hard.

I recently started looking into how the people in "Velfiorden" had fared after I left.

Turns out that of the 6 families eking a living out of the grazing land along the fiord, there is only a single person left.

Lars Fagerli.
He was maybe 30 years old when I came into Velfiorden as the only impact from the rest of the world, ever to come there, in 1976 ( maybe, my memory is a bit hazy on those years)

Now he is the only person left out there.
Weird to think about.
)
My wife has a hankering to go to Nordkap, The northernmost point of Norway ( Mostly because when we hitchhiked there in 75 ( Maybe??) the weather was so bad, we turned around before getting to the actual Nordkap.

So maybe next year we'll head up there.
Might pay old Lars a visit and bullshit about those days when crazy danes ran around the Velfiord.
Hopefully he'll remember me.

I think as one gets older, bars appeal less and less, especially later on in the evening when it gets a bit lairy.

Stig, we all like a bit of alone time.

Just pounding rain here again. A little hail mixed in, some lightning here and there.

I'm so done with the wet this spring. It's been brutal, floods everywhere. Nearly nonstop rain it seems which is rare here.

Bars are awesome if you are single.... but I'm not anymore. Still if you live close enough for a cab or a dd you can have a good time if you got cash to burn. Kinda wish i had some of that cash back from my 20s lol.

Took a day off. One of the dogs got hit by a car and I had to put her down. Kids and Katy were a mess. They needed to go 2 hours over for stuff at the charter school branch we home school from. So I did the driving and took them to lunch. Seemed to help the mood a bit.
Thursday I leave for colorado to see my dying sister.
I just need to go to work tomorrow and bury my saws in some trees.

Back