How'd it go today?

Also to mention again the chipper feeding ability of being able to drag what it would take four or five men pulling their guts out to do and effortlessly feed whole parts of trees into my bandit 250(140hp) meant that on open ground with a two man two truck show I could out process any of my comp, feeding a chipper by hand. And do it effortlessly. One guy drove chip truck/chipper one guy drove dump trailer with mini skid. Over 12" wood got tossed in the dump trailer by the grapple and everything smaller got tossed through the chipper by the grapple. Minimal hand work, raking and the odd piece, and minimal effort. But maximum production. One guy would cut while the other would process, or run ropes and process if time allowed. Once I got the sena comm units, that was the icing on the cake for maximizing efficiency. No hollering, no shutting down the chipper. Mini skid OP can be talking to the cutter the whole time.

If it was a climbing and roping tree the mini allowed the ground guy to build quite a pile and easily and quickly move it out of the drop zone, even if they only had time to forward it a bit so they can be johnny on the spot for the guy in the tree. To keep the drop/landing zone clear.

Stephen one of those log archs/skidding units like Mick has would have great applications in your market it would seem. That's gotta be a pretty heavy tractor too. Should be capable for your size trees I would think.

I've really looked into a mini, but the ones I've demoed really tore up yards here. Some could be operator error, some could be the tracks, but it was just not right. My buddy runs mini excavators with grapple saws, which is stupid fast, but even that is hell on the yard. I guess i need to accept some yard damage or plywood and go from there. This is really the sticking point for me, and i need to just get over it and start plywooding stuff and making more money. The log arch and arbor trolley are stupid low impact tho, and that's what I'm basing everything off of. I've even thought of a grapple on a pickup truck, which would be perfect except for back yard part

My mini was wheeled with turf tires. Minimal impact but still great traction. I'll grab my phone and dig up a couple of pics.

My photography skills are legendary. Lol. And I know long ago I posted many pictures of my mini on here in action, when it was new and whatnot. But apparently over the last few years I hadn't gotten many of it. It makes a couple of guest appearances.

This is it in the trailer and my tractor and a ground roping dummy. I think I was getting drunk and lighting off my burn pile at the time. :D. And a pic with it off to the side. Thats a village worker standing there wondering how much stuff is going to get smashed. Moronsky, nothing was smashed!

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

I dunno. Sideways for me? Upside down for others maybe? I've kind of given up posting pics. I have zero clue how to determine their orientation. :|:

I only use a i potato now. I'm guessing that's the problemo.

Let's be honest. I'm not the best picture taker/sharer regardless. I just never have been.

Lol i thought ground roping dummy referred to a ground guy till i saw the sawhorse lol. Nice equipment btw, way newer vintage than anything i own. And i don't think anybody has ever burned a burn pile sober lol

All told, this little welding and turning project saved me about 2000 dollars in parts.

That is big bucks. A penny saved is a penny earned :drink:

Maybe I even like tree work...dont know yet.

Im positive Jimbo would be insanely good on the ground, probably take him a whole day or two to figure it all out.

Speaking of lathes, I have the lathe that they made the second lathe with.

That is awesome

He asked if I had a replacement, no says I, I will fix this'n.

The look on his face was priceless. He thought I was some kind of wizard or something.

Just survival welding mostly.

I love this.

And i don't think anybody has ever burned a burn pile sober lol

:lol:

The teacher was amazed and asked if i could really do this like it's some sort of magic, and i asked if he was messing with me, because if you teach this shit you should be able to do what drunk 19 year old could do...
A torch, stick welder, a lathe, a grinder, some duct tape and baling wire and you can build or fix damn near everything on earth :) and zip ties for the new millennium hahahaha

Good stuff!!!!

I have 4 of those necessary tools, but, I still feel a wee bit shy of being able to fix everything. I'd settle for being able to fix anything.

Ha, I did move a birds nest with 2 eggs in it yesterday from the removal tree to an adjacent tree at same elevation (which is what birders have told me is advisable if you must nuke the home tree), used sticks and zip ties to anchor it securely to a new crotch similar to one it came from.

Well..that is the protocol anyway. We were back there today to finish up, I couldnt see if there was a bird on the nest or not. If my plan did not succeed, at least the crows will find the eggs and have a nice snack.

Nice, Jim.

As a matter of fact some words of yours came to mind as I was dealing with the nest. I've given you some grief or at least questions when you post about killing some critters around your place and you generally seem to reply that it is a question of survival-its either them or you and yours. And that's how I rationalized this situation- a large tree removal already well underway when the nest was found. Stopping work and coming back to finish in 2 months wasn't viable, unfortunately.

Back