How'd it go today?

Great find!

A little more work on the grinder today, 1" carb to a 2" sharp 90 bend, not much room, throttle, choke pull start and handle knobs in the way. Just gotta find suitable filter now.
IMG_20151210_103701.jpg

Shaun, haven't run into that need since, most jobs the trees are so thick that slow pulling and manoeuvring is the course, Still there is a need for the fast pull coming up no doubt, with more and more Pines drying out and dead.

Stig, curious on the Tirfor, I understand that the pull stays engaged if a shear pin breaks, but does the whole thing lock up or can you back off tension? What would be the course of action if you had cut and pulled to the point that the tree was compromised on it's ability to stand on it's own but not enough to fall towards the direction of pull, and a shear pin broke? You'd be needing to introduce another puller into the set up somehow? Seems like things could get a little complicated.

I know some guys using the Chinese interpretations (rip off) of the Tirfor. Results seem to be favourable and the devices are sure cheap for new with cable.

The reservation had a 2000 acre fire in the cottonwoods yesterday. I was farming way out south of town and arrived a bit later.

I still smell like smoke! Never got a saw out, but then again, cutting candleing cottonwoods in 70 mph winds is not my bag! At one point I was on a run next to the engine trying to keep up.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...xjFJOWoDXw2SL7U8Q&sig2=I1kFmzLigqdMA1iS0SWO-w

I call BS on the 40 mph gusts. Weather service said it was to 70 at times.

Wow, Jim. Some job you've got there. That's all I want to do after putting in a hard day's work, is go out and work some more. :?

I was kinda tired today!

We did not have to babysit the fire last night, which was nice. BIA had engines on scene, as well as resources from the National Park Service, BLM, and State of Montana, driving a BLM engine, the state had all their stuff winterized!

So basically the paid guys got to stay, the volunteers went home. We would have gone back if there had been a flare up.

Postponed some work this morning. Root pulled 100'+ fir in a laminated root rot patch, next to a new clear-cut in urban/ country interface area. Swirly winds.

Sat at Home Depot for a bit after getting some supplies. Met a nice 72 y.o. pruner, moved down from Seattle recently. He like to make a little money, and be active a couple days a week. Said he would pass on my name to customers with bigger stuff. Said he rarely climbs any more.

Headed off to look at a tree for Gary's relative when a tipped tree call came in. More root disease. Lost two tall but small canopy fir next to the house, scaring the house and deck by a matter of feet. One more tipped, three others looking precarious. 4 trees downs. APTA doesn't muck around. First shot was good shot in two. One was a wedge over, and the root-pulled one leaned cooperatively. Kinda windy. In no wind, I would likely have beat them all over. Better safe than sorry.

Ha Jim, I was on a small fire on Thursday...doofus lit a long log pile without a permit during permit season. He wouldn't have been given a permit anyway.
Gusting 30kn, we were there for 4 hrs relay pumping and dousing hot spots with water and foam.
Our Brigade chief and fourth officer have neighbouring properties and were downwind! They called it in and we went out to black it out before things got out of hand

Nice score on the Tirfors Jay. Think I'll sell mine, no use for it these days. I had a shorter cable made up for it to save unrolling the 100' one all the time, it came in real handy.

Hot today, did a half dead Coral Tree. Abdul didn't show up on monday and the other guy didn't ring back, I know why, I don't either if I know it's one of them. Anyway I charged a bit extra as he wanted it done today, just down and cut up a bit. Got paid and he was happy.

Did the marathon chip run after that, then got home to find a letter from my credit card company saying the $1800 disputed transaction has been settled and my new card is on the way. So not a bad day.

Pretty good week really, except the six hours grinding stumps with a heavy duty dusk mask on monday. But just going around the corner to get paid made that not so bad.

Might be a bit big for you it's a 5 ton, like this one.

38396.jpg

It's at my sister's place at the moment so I can't get a pic. Made in France, and a lot heavier than it was in 1978. Wouldn't cost much to Melbourne but not sure about Tassie, you'd probably get a chinese one for less than freight. I was going to put it on ebay but haven't had time, so it won't be till January now. Have a think about it.

If anyone might be looking for a Tirfor in the states, I believe that they generally get marketed there under the name, Griphoist. Same animal.

Jay it locks up, but you can back it off, using the other handle.
But, the little brass rod that breaks takes under a minute to change, if you have a spare, a metal dovel to knock the broken pieces out with and a hammer, wedge or something else to hit the "dowel" with.
I keep about 10 spare rods and a dovel with each Tirfor, that way we don't have to be concerned about breaking one.
Yesterday we were so stretched in lifting capacity that tirfor and GRCS had to pull together. The guy on the Tirfor got a little over enthusiastic, that is all.

Fiona, you won't be able to lift the wirecable for a 5 ton Tirfor or at least not carry it far.
My problem with breaking the overload rod on the 1 ton yesterday was simply becasue I didn't want to bother rolling that fat wire cable out for the 5 ton.
So we doubled the 1 ton up in a 2.1 setting instead.
In hindsight, we should have used the big one.

I sure live a varied life, yesterday that beechtop on a roof, today Richard and I clear cut a stand of Doug fir in the state forest, that the bark beetles had started to kill.
I love me a clearcut, and hardly get to do it any more.
So it was an enjoyable day, right up till 1 oclock, when it started raining full out. It was like standing in a shower while logging.
By then we only had 8 trees to go, so we decided to just finish and get wet.
Was kinda funny, actually. And we SURE did get drenched.

What's the maximum number of lowering points you've ever used to drift a big log/limb sideways to a distant LZ?

Three's my max to travel about 75 feet laterally, losing about 40 feet in height along the way. Took two Hobbs and three really good groundies to pull off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 61
removed a small umbrella tree, monstereo plant and a privet all underneath a massive hoop pine.The tree was 2.5-3m diameter at a guess (I forgot to bring a tape measure as I didn't know how big the tree was) the height was 20-30 meters tall. Sorry no photos of the tree

Me either. Sounds like a trick though. I on the other-hand smashed the eve of a house yesterday. Tree on house, no good rigging points, tried to rig to a doghair that was too far away. Rope at 100' in a 140' Fir. The darned rigging tree just bent over about 10'. Shoulda pre-tensioned the line with the GRCS. :|: Couldn't rope log to itself cause there wasn't enough space between the roof and the log, and the wood was too big to hadle manually.

No pics cause we had no internet yesterday... too many trees knocking out the lines!!

It was funny, the homeowner was out there watching the whole time... he wasn't even pissed.

Sounds like a fun day Jed.

Don't see many Hoop Pines around here Wood Collector, that sounds like a big one. Watch out for those monstera's they can make you pretty itchy but you may know that by now.

Had a rest day, it's been a busy week and it's Saturday anyway. Packed a bit more stuff, not too much more. Well there maybe a bit more.

Steve, how did you manage to hook into being busy so quickly after relocating. Did you have something cooking before the move?

Poured a slab for the sawmill yesterday. Ran short by a bit, but the driver was able to radio another truck that had enough plus about a wheelbarrow leftover. Now I just have to wait a little longer to bolt the mill down.:D

IMG_20151212_073406068.jpg

Me either. Sounds like a trick though. I on the other-hand smashed the eve of a house yesterday. Tree on house, no good rigging points, tried to rig to a doghair that was too far away. Rope at 100' in a 140' Fir. The darned rigging tree just bent over about 10'. Shoulda pre-tensioned the line with the GRCS. :|: Couldn't rope log to itself cause there wasn't enough space between the roof and the log, and the wood was too big to hadle manually.

No pics cause we had no internet yesterday... too many trees knocking out the lines!!

It was funny, the homeowner was out there watching the whole time... he wasn't even pissed.

An eve is nothing compared to a hole in the roof, letting in water. Get it dry and the builders will repair it all, at the same cost to him, no? Maybe he's even getting more, in a way.

Back