How'd it go today?

This morning, over 16000 acres. I bet we are close to 20,000 now. Power is out. Town proper is closed under evac. Kids are out. Animals are being marked if we have to cut them loose. So far, no fire visible from our place. But close. We are fine for now. Wind tonight and tomorrow will tell the tale. Smokey as all hell. Got fuel and everything before town was shut down.

If I lived in places like that my house would be surrounded by gravel 100 yards in every direction with a sprinkler system built into the roof.

Dayum.

Keep safe Stephan. Scary stuff fire can be.

Jim the air gets cooler when accelerating and while sitting at an idle I'll get a slight vibration after it gets to operating temp. I've got either a wheel bearing or abs sensor going bad also. She needs a little work but will hopefully last for another 100k. Gotta make it last. Might have to cross the country sooner or later with it

Couple of things lately...

Did a two day job for a local welsh builder a week ago, the second day involved pulling some heavy learners off an outbuilding that he uses as a kennels. He has a terrible reputation locally for quality of work, but not my problem.

So the only way to do it was to attach a line up high, set up a pulley, and use the tractor winch, cripple the three stems, pull and pray! Went off as sweet as a nut.

Yesterday I got a call saying the roof was collapsing and "had I dropped something heavy on it?"
so I scuttled over and he showed me the dip in the roof and explained that the only way it could have happened was if dropped a trunk on it, I asked him to show me the broken tiles and he said there weren't any! We parted badly, him just dismissing me as lying.

Now I'm not averse to making cock ups but I couldn't for the life of me remember knocking that roof, but I had a fitful sleep questioning myself.

This morning over coffee I raised it with my groundy

Me "Ryan, do you remember that building, not the one with the scaffolding on top but the other one, under those stems on that Welsh blokes job?"

Ryan "you mean the one with the dip in the new roof?"

He had noticed it on the day and it confirmed that it wasn't me before I even told him the story.

I won't mention it to the Welshman as he won't believe me anyway, but it 100% confirms my innocence.
He'll probably bad mouth me locally, but you can't win them all.

Secondly, I got a call from a largish local landscaper/grounds maintenance company that runs 8 crews.

His tree guy had left the game and he had a cedar to dismantle in a hurry.
I was dubious as I don't really need sub contact work, but I met up with him anyway to look at it.

I liked the cut of his jib from the off, So I gave him a fair price, he took it and we did it today, he popped over and saw us killing it with big rigging, sharp saws and good teamwork.
I was up the tree when he arrived and I saw (lipread) him say to the guy with the chipper he had sent over to help "il connaît son boulot heh?" (He knows what's he's doing doesn't he?"
The other guy nodded emphatically.

He told me he would definitely have some more work in the future.

So there could be a good thing going there.

Yes sorry, I added a translation after as an edit, and changed the incorrect ending!

S'funny because often clients will say stuff about your work and it means nothing, I mean what do they know?

But even a grizzled old cynic like me enjoys a vote of confidence from a peer.

It's good to have someone appreciate well done work. Sometimes I realize when I do something in the tree that really was smooth and well done that no one else saw it...there won't be any "attaboys".

Many of you could appreciate it but the only record is in my mind. Have to be content with the good feeling of competency and move on. And try not to screw up the next item.:D

Cool the fellow could recognize pro work.

Good deal, Mick. I've found that it doesn't pay to work for people with a terrible reputation. There is always a reason. And Gary is absolutely right, it's awesome when you get some praise from a respected peer. Makes all the bullshit worthwhile.

Cheers Skwerl.

A few months ago I had a meeting with my accountants where they told me they were pleased with my book keeping and diligence with paperwork.

I was so proud of myself it was pathetic!

As business owners (no matter how small) pats on the back are in short supply, feels nice!

I'll throw a dog a bone. :D

From what I've seen and come to know of you over the years I'd have no doubt you're running a right proper and tight outfit.

Blush!

I like to think we know our stuff.

I recently (yesterday) took delivery of a new rigging ring, carbon fibre spikes, lowering rope, shorter climbing line for the zigzag, and a few other bits.

Without the internet, this place and AT i would have been unaware of this stuff and how it can help.

Used them on today's job, felt as smooth as silk.

Back