How'd it go today?

Very male setting!!!
There were three other blokes there, I got the distinct impression that two of them were a bit discombobulated by my presence...and being an arbo, not a faller, and a foreigner. So I admit to a bit of personal nerves too.

Good work, Fi.

Do you have lightweight bars for your bigger bars?

A wedge will keep the face-cut from pinching your bar. The face-cut will slide a bit easier on a thin plastic wedge, at times, than horizontal facecut wood on horizontal stump wood (stump cuts, too)

When you have to beat out a face-cut, a wedge vertically above (sloping) and below (horizontal) will help pop the face-cut free, allowing you to clean up the face-cut. Humboldts avoid this fight. Big dogs help/ wanted for humbodlts.

Also, if you're fighting a big heavy face-cut that doesn't want to pop free, like a tree nearing twice your bar width, it can help to vertically bore through the entirety of the face-cut in the middle. You can wedge the one half of the face-cut against the other, and split one side off, at half the weight. Then you have a good vertical surface on the the half to hit with your ax, swinging inside toward outside.

FWIW, if it helps.

I'm trying!
Don't have a lightweight bar for the 461 yet, have not come across them here yet and they'd probably be very expensive...

In conversation the tutor isn't keen on boring the face...apparently the eucs tend to settle, which given the range of defects down low (bracket fungi, mechanical damage and fire damage) I tend to agree...the amount of rotten wood in the middle of most of the trees we were falling would give you pause.

Ah...I read your post again, you mean boring the 'wedge' of wood in the face in half, then sticking a wedge in it to split it...cool, I get it, thanks.

Fiona, I believe that using a wedge to split out a face is in Mr. Beranek's "Fundamentals", if you have it. No doubt you'll do fine, as Burnham advised, probably can teach the teachers.

Day wrecking out shitty macrocarpas - I love it when you gotta hit a tree with a couple of ratchet straps before climbing it :(

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 24
I'm sore against rattlers as they haunt a couple of real nice riding areas here. And twice I've had close calls with my horse almost stepping on them. I thought they are supposed to be able to 'feel' us coming, but apparently not. Very common to see them and hear them when riding in those areas.

Danish rattler. Big Jim, come clean now. :D

Jim you wouldn't be trying to entice someone to comment on that would you?
Rattlers are very rare here. Like I've only seen one and someone shot it. I don't have much appreciation for snakes of any sort but I'm trying to be better about that. I show them to my kids and put them along the creek bank unharmed now.

Jim you wouldn't be trying to entice someone to comment on that would you?
Rattlers are very rare here. Like I've only seen one and someone shot it. I don't have much appreciation for snakes of any sort but I'm trying to be better about that. I show them to my kids and put them along the creek bank unharmed now.

Good on ya, Rich

Back