How'd it go today?

Truck is getting a new central nervous system. I put about 20 hours into it this weekend. Got a guy who's way more knowledgeable than myself checking my homework and finishing it off. Should be ready to be buttoned up tomorrow. At least she fires off the key again :)

There was a lot of stuff that was spliced in or not hooked up at all. Kickdown switch for the transmission. Neutral Safety Switch was bypassed, Heater switch didn't have an "off", horn, ext.

19551304_1411132038922733_847742081_n.jpg

19512053_1411132115589392_1136745090_n.jpg

Pretty sure this is where it all started. Ignition wire was routed over the actuating rod for the switch. Welded itself to the column and burned up the cab-side harness. Smoked the Ignition switch too. . .

19553144_1411132192256051_242519038_n.jpg

19512541_1411132015589402_1610049527_n (1) - Copy.jpg

19551267_1411132288922708_692831741_n.jpg

19489630_1411132485589355_212160210_n.jpg

Wow!!

You got skillz son!!!!

Great work/project pics. Awesome that you have a mentor to help you.

My guy and I put in a new glow plug in the dura max on friday!!Woohoo! Auto zone diagnosed the check engine light so the whole repair was 19$ Dealer wanted 131.88$ to plug it in to check the light. Fuk da Man!

My guy and I put in a new glow plug in the dura max on friday!!Woohoo! Auto zone diagnosed the check engine light so the whole repair was 19$ Dealer wanted 131.88$ to plug it in to check the light. Fuk da Man!

I had to replace one in my Duramax as well. Luckily I can check and clear codes with my tuner. Got mine on Amazon, bought two just in case. I was scared to tackle swapping it out but my mechanic was able to sneak in through the wheel well and had it done in 5 minutes.

Wow!!

You got skillz son!!!!

Great work/project pics. Awesome that you have a mentor to help you.

Thanks Cory. I don't really understand electronics. . . I'm not very good at it. I know you need to run a power through whatever you're hooking up, and into a ground, but that's about it. . . :|:

Like I didn't realize the starter grounds itself when its bolted down. I had it just sitting on the leaf spring so I could hear if it was engaging off the key. . . Which of course it wasn't sitting there ungrounded. Drove myself nuts looking at the circuit for the ignition and not understanding why it wouldn't spin the starter. Had to have a fresh set of eyes take a look and they had it in like two seconds. . . Learned a bit about the truck at least I guess. . .

Cheers

my mechanic was able to sneak in through the wheel well and had it done in 5 minutes.

The #5 plug was it?? Mine was. Yes right thru the wheel well.

G, definitely you learned a lot about yo truck.

Got the oil changed in my old bucket truck this morning. It sort of got away from me because I've been preoccupied with the new truck. Last time I changed it was back in December, almost 500 hours ago. My target interval is 350 hours.

I also used my last oil filter. Time to restock. For you guys with a couple trucks that do your own service work, a good place to stock up on filters is www.fleetfilter.com. If you order over $200 of filters then you get a 20% discount, which will cover the shipping and maybe a little more. They feature Wix/NAPA Gold as their premium line and a couple cheaper lines also.
A follow up on this post. My filters came in today so I'm stocked up for a few years I think. A little over $300 for all these.

IMG_0079.jpg

Well done. That stuff is hard.

You have not begun to get confused until you have eventually worked your way though diagnosing a failed main instrument pack computer on a Jaguar, I promise. When I succeeded with replacing it myself without frying the other 8 system computers, I was over the moon elated. Dealer estimates ran as high as $2000...I got 'er done with a used $135 replacement through Ebay.

And that 'effer is still faster than anyone ought to need :).

Cool stuff going on.

Well I told the fencing guy I could only do three day weeks and that I also couldn't start until next week. He wants me to come in Thursday and meet with him. Seems it could work out.

I need to get off the property more and money is a good motivator to.

I've also had a bumper crop of hay this year. 450 was my previous 'best cut' on my little hayfield and I just got 705. Drowning in bales.:D

Well done. That stuff is hard.

You have not begun to get confused until you have eventually worked your way though diagnosing a failed main instrument pack computer on a Jaguar, I promise. When I succeeded with replacing it myself without frying the other 8 system computers, I was over the moon elated. Dealer estimates ran as high as $2000...I got 'er done with a used $135 replacement through Ebay.

And that 'effer is still faster than anyone ought to need :).

Just don't challenge Sabine Schmitz to a race around the Nurburgring in Transit van.

Jim will probably laugh at this. But this year I have palletized some of my hay. I can get 18 bales on a big floppy pallet and then tie a rope over the top which holds things together. Then I was able to stack them in the barn this way. So now instead of loading hay onto a trailer, unloading it and stacking it in the shed, then loading it again to move over to where it's fed. I instead have loaded them once, stacked them with the tractor, and then move them with the tractor again for feeding. So I only handle them once.

Stacking them three pallets high in the barn was not for the faint of heart with my little l3400.

IMG_1351.jpg
IMG_1350.jpg
IMG_1355.jpg

Just don't challenge Sabine Schmitz to a race around the Nurburgring in Transit van.

I don't plan to...I've seen that vid. But then, I don't challenge anyone. A few times when some smuck in a rumbling lifted pickup or a buzzing lowered rice burner has gotten on my bumper because I was toodling along some moderately twisty stretch enjoying the view, I've just accelerated away from them without much fanfare until they are gone from sight. Then I slow down again. When they eventually catch up, usually they are a bit more polite.
:)

I wish my truck had such acceleration. When someone gets on my bumper I just slam on the brakes. Nice when in the rear view mirror it seems that you've spilled their coffee. The frustrating thing is when after that person turns off the next person comes up and gets on my bumper too. :X Not just tooling along either, ten kilometers over the speed limit.

The stacks are amazingly stable. Nine bales hay, effortlessly. I may have to hand bomb the top pallet down when moving them as I had to get pretty inventive with the loader to get the last pallet up top. Full extension for the little bota and then a little English to get it to lift that high with that load in the first place. But the bottom two layers of pallets will load/forward again like nothing I predict.

I only had enough pallets to do a few hundred that way, that's one of the problems with pallets I think, you need a lot. I've sold 150 bales out of the field and then I'll have done a couple hundred or so the old fashioned way by the time it's all said and done. I'm leaving them in the field for sale as long as the weather holds.

Back