How'd it go today?

Cool cut and run Reg.

Weather has turned nasty here. About 8"s of snow yesterday and another couple overnight. Boom. It's winter!

I'm plowing, wrenching, and generally run ragged. :whine:

Finished off a good week with two days of pollarding of basswood trees. All work this week completed on time and budget, no injuries or machine catastrophes, all ch?ques collected, pricing tomorrow.

All is right with the world.

Cool cut and run Reg.

Weather has turned nasty here. About 8"s of snow yesterday and another couple overnight. Boom. It's winter!

I'm plowing, wrenching, and generally run ragged. :whine:

Snowed here last night too Justin. Wind was howling at the same time. Wasn't forecast this far south. Never seen snow this early before in Victoria.

We've just completed the first of two jobs for the new National park, and will start on the next one monday.

The area north of where I live has been declared a National park, because it was more or less here that all the viking stuff started.
Historically, the area is extremely rich in graves, monuments and such.

I got a call from the guy in charce of the national park, where he asked if we were interested in doing some work for them.
'
I figured it was one of those: " Get a bunch of companies to bid against each other" things, so my response was somewhat lukewarm.

Then he told me what the projects were, and I told him we'd done several such projects for the State forest.

So he told me that the reason he called, was that we'd been recommended by the local State forest forester.

Cool!

Then he told me the name of the biologist, who was supervising the projects, and I told him, we'd done a lot of projects with that guy in the past.

Well, turned out, we'd been recommended by him as well.

So, it was not going to be a bidding contest, I just had to give a price:)

Since these are the first projects undertaken by the new national park ( We'll have a massive run in of press people thursday next week) and they have a pretty nice budget, we figured to make them happy this time, then we'll be their go to boys forever.

First job was clearing vegetation off a viking age stone fence.
Priced it for 3 days with 3 guys and a forwarder, plus removal of the cut vegetation.

Finished it in two days and found a local guy who'll chip the brush for free.
He gets it for free, we don't pay for removal= Win-win:D
I walked through the job today with the head guy from the National park and the biologist.
They only had high praise for what we'd done.

What a wonderful way to start the weekend:)

Wish every week could be like this.

I just got a call from the mother of a former customer. Her 74 year old husband was in the back yard trying to cut a limb from a ladder. The limb is now hanging and they are unable to get it down. I've been hired by the wife to keep her husband from hurting himself. Gotta run!

A while back I got a call from a client whose saw was stuck fast in a back leaner, had been there a couple of weeks apparently.

It was not bad, but could have been bad if he had managed to finish his cut. 16' extension ladder and an electric pole saw put his cut at about 22'-24' off the ground. About a 6" diameter top but his cut was at an angle so there was still about 2" of wood holding on the far side. Thankfully it was dead and it was a Florida swamp maple so it broke easily once I shot a line up into it. Couldn't get near it with the truck but I still collected my minimum call along with a promise to call me back when it is time to remove the tree.

Snow here, today, melting off. White morning in places. D was really excited by it. Need to run soon to get her from the bus, after writing a couple bids.

Jobber now has launched a Client Approval feature, and some sort of request for revision. Should be a nice addition.

Bid two jobs this morning. View work for both.

I've been accused of hating maples, as I'm good at looking for the usual suspects. Today the radar went off for a closer inspection of a hollow, ganoderma riddled maple hanging over the garage. Already did one a maple for the neighbor on the other side.

Also spotted red-ring rot in a doug-fir leaning decidely toward the neighbor's fancy, fancy house.

Another neighbor on the other side to visit. The good thing about view pruning...it always grows back.

What's great... its all machine accessible, and jobs that I can do myself, with machinery, if groundies are sick (strep throat currently for my new guy, which he got from his older/ elderly parents which he was taking care of), and no need for any firm dates, like a power line drop. A lot of material can just be dropped in the forest and left.

Picked up a flywheel from a mennonite engine shop in Aylmer. Hope it's the right one. Got it for free, traded me delivering a fuel pump for him to Brantford.

Put an 1.25inch bearing on the end of the woodchipper, wasn't one there, but all the Befco pics show one there.

20171103_150224.jpg

20171103_152213.jpg

Secret Squirrel Cold Brewed Coffee. The smell of a 4-71 Detroit started on a cold morning with just a little too much ether, in a can.:|:

A little saw gas on a rag works well, also. The way it was explained to me is that you put it on a rag so just the fumes get sucked into the engine, not the liquid. I've had to do it a couple times on my Duramax after running out of fuel and trying to get it primed.

Never heard of that. I have used stuck a 500k btu propane torch over the intake before. Even if it doesn't start on disel, you can adjust the propane to control rpms.:/:

If you can't adjust the pick up unit, then a machinist should have no trouble cutting a new key way I would think.
Maybe, do like some saw builders do and eliminate the key and line it up and secure it with the nut?

It looks like a newer series part?

Maybe the factory decided to advance/retard the timing....not sure which way it spins from the picture.....on all new units?

I wonder if a tight nut and some sleeve retainer would hold it.

Do you have a broach set that small?

It would probably still run......

Back