How'd it go today?

Seeing the winters you guys get, you could probably save a little money on electricity by just bagging it up and leaving it outside (if it weren't for the stinking 'yotes).:)

Just make sure you eat your pudding Jim.

My day almost took a turn for the worst. One of my subs, working on another side of a job site with me lost a fire. He lit one down in 6-12 inches of duff and logging slash. All bone dry on a steep slope. Slope you limbed up those two pigs on Deva.
I had a meeting in the morning about the dry conditions and to light only fires in bare dirt areas that had been burned in before. 5 piles got lit, or 6 out side of my safe zone. Took three of us and the excavator and hand tools to put it down. Duff mixed with slash sucks to put out. Even with water. Pretty much cut a line around it and rake it into smaller contained piles
He had not even safetied the burn ring or any stumps nearby. 20 mph winds kicked up... it came close to calling CDF..
Got it contained under 1/8 acre though. Made apologies to the land owner and shut burning down till my crew comes back on site and or rain..... I don't wanna be a logger :|::whine:

Yeah, he's basically gone.... write check in morning. Been up there 12 hours baby sitting burns :P
Could have been far worse.

Feel extremely lucky old friend. Kept my cool. Excavate could only cut me a line up top. He almost tipped at the edge. We Had To Stand down from cutting one side of the line in case he lost it down the hill. Crazy times ...

Yikes Stephen, that must have been an awful feeling...uphill and windy..shit!!
We have to use class A foam in the water to really get on top of a scrub fire...water just sits on top or steams off...

I had a customer with his own gel unit on his property. Maybe some day. Usually discretion and hand tools suffice. Like prescribed burning. Plan, resource and execute. Usually goes well. Then you get one guy with no common sense and a newb ruin your day. He lost thousands and still does not realize it.
I was setting him up with the client to help clean up 200 or acres. And that Custy knows people. He would be working close to home. Threw it all away on laziness.

Had some mechanic work today up at Dad's shop. Went to his house for lunch, hired man came up too. La Wife-A was in the big town to the west all day.

Just as we were finishing up lunch I caught a whiff of something. I looked over to dad and said "you have an electrical fire in the house".

Went looking and found that his electric hot water heater in the basement was on fire. Turned the power off and was able to bludgeon the flames out.

Spent the rest of the afternoon installing a new hot water heater. Used some rigid PEX, slip on fittings and flexible connections on the water tank.

Jeezlus, that PEX and slip on fittings are nice!

Just lucky the house did not burn down. My folks were thinking about taking a trip to the big town to the south west. No one would have been home.

Luckily my highly trained nose saved the day.

I had a rubbish day. Got rope burn from a lowering rope while on the portawrap. The porty slid up the tree when topping a dead grey box. Loop sling must have been a bit loose despite choking it around the stem and pulling up to check that it had locked so when it was loaded it slid up the tree. Will post a pic later of the porty 4m up the pole.

Crazy fire stories! I have been grinding stumps for the last three days I still have one more day out there but it's raining so I am not to sure about today.

I'm not sure about tomorrow, it's raining here as well. Had a couple of stumps to do, went to put the grinder on the trailer, flat battery.:X Went into town and bought a charger so should be right for the morning but forecast is heavy rain and it's a Saturday afternoon only job at the hospital.

Wood Collector, I forget your name if I ever knew it. That Grey Box Psyllid sure killed some trees, pity most are in low income areas. Saw a lot of big dead ones a while back that were way out of their price range, lucky they take a long time to rot. Grey Box Psyllid: http://parramattariver.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Final-Greybox-Fact-Sheet-Low-Res1.pdf

Back