How'd it go today?

Tell you EMT brothers to try THAT in the back of the ambulance next time they have a birth!!!

Fine job, Dr. Welby!!!!

hrGX0EAE.jpg

I bought a mechanical backlite keyboard - it's cooler n shit!

I wish I'd have gotten one a long time ago.

Since we have a pregnant cow, I had to show Katy. I , like Justin, never really wanted cattle. About my whole family farmed or ranched. I don't have the stomach for it.... :lol: Or allergy tolerance. My cousin just carries an epi pen.....
Great story Jim. :)

Tough racket that farming stuff. It does get in your blood though. I grew 2500 heads of cauliflower this past year. You have to walk through the whole field on a daily basis when it is heading to look for heads opening up starting to show white. You gather the leaves around the head and tie them to keep the sun off-turns them yellow and nasty looking.

Then when you harvest them you have to carefully trim the upper leaves off, leaving enough to protect the head during transport. When you get to market you trim most of those leaves off so you can see how nice it is.

My bud sarcastically said don't fool around next year, plant 8 or 10 thousand instead of a paltry 2500.

My family supports you. We eat the heck outta some cauliflower. Well actually we eat a very wide variety of veggies.

Today was a well needed break from the gas company. I did a quick ditch clearing for the county. 28 floppers. Whack a log off for firewood and chip the tops. Brought the skid steer home and gonna make a lot of logs into manageable wood tomorrow. The youngster on my crew is gonna help. Said he'd do it for food and beer. The wife is making a big batch of chile and hopefully I don't drink to much of the case tonight. I'll pay him good as well. We've been putting in so many hours that I have nothing ready for next winter as far as wood goes. I really don't want to see all of my overtime go to the electric company to heat my house next year.

Just got out of the shower.

For some reason my wife forgot to sell a cow that had a prolapsed uterus last year.

To hold the uterus in a vet will stitch umbilical tape across the vagina. Kind of like a fence to hold everything inside.

Just as she starts to have a calf you have to cut the strings so the calf can be delivered.

Wife is gone so after I got off the phone with her I went outside to call the dogs and heard a funny noise. Head out to the corrals and sure as hell this cow had been trying to push her calf out for some time. I thought it was dead. Looked dead.

Got her down to the squeeze and went back to the house for a water can and a scalpel...put on some surgical gloves too in case anyone was watching.

Couldn't cut the knots on the outside because they were sucked into the skin too deep so I had to guide the scalpel inside blind with my fingers to make the cuts. Of course the calfs head and feet were out so I did not have much room.

Finally got the strings cut and out comes the big ole calf. Sunofabitch is alive. Tongue is swolle all to hell, might be a while before it can nurse.

Just get the calf out, hang it upside down for a while yo drain the airway, and the cow keeps pushing. The whole friggin' uterus comes out and I catch it before it hits the ground. Lucky. Cow was laying down.

Just this afternoon Dad was telling me about how he caught a uterus and just stuffed it back in. No problem after that.

So I gathered up her insides and stuffed em back in. Got her out of the chute and drug her calf out so she would take her mind off of turning her insides into outsides and put it on cleaning her calf.

Worked too.

I will have a story to impress my EMT with class in the morning.
That's an awesome story!

Wow, some story Jim!

It's cool we watched you build that stumper Peter, now we get to see it work.

We've had a busy few days with the emergency services here, a thunderstorm rolled through on Saturday, got a call out around 9pm that some hunters had seen a tree on fire way in the back hills, lightnig started three fires in our region, it took the better part of an hr to get out there, then we had to climb 200m uphill to get to it, hand tool work only, no way to get a line. YES, I was careful, just helped put the firebreak around it...tossing embers and twigs back into the burnt area. It was only about 30m x 10m, but the potential for disaster if it took off was huge. we got back at midnight.
Another crew went out in the morning and the waterbombing helicopter came in and dumped 15 buckets of water on it...apparently manoeuvred right down to just above it and placed all the water just where it needed to go. Steam clouds for days...fire was in all the rocks and they were HOT!

Then last night got a page for a car crash, van hit a cow...three trapped, got about halfway there and the first crew called in to say everyone was out and ambulance had them all...so turned back. On the way back the fire pager went off, our brigade got called to the next town because THEY were also out at the car crash!! I stopped by to see what was up on the way back, fortunately only a small fire in the grass on the verge of a field, probably a cigarette...the small truck crew had it out by the time I got there.

Then this morning, went to the station to check the landcruiser, apparently the indicators weren't working. Could I find the fuse box???? Nope. Had to call a friend to Google '98 Toyota landcruiser...guess where the fuses are...waaaayyy up under and inside the left hand footwell, it would take a frigging midget contortionist to get to them!
I know I'm small but really! I could get one hand to them so wiggled them and squeezed the junctions...Voila, indicators work again :)

Put my phone number on the chipper chute, touched up the blades...got a bit of chipping to do on Wednesday YAY!!!

Back