How'd it go today?

Calling coyotes is a lot of fun when you get something to respond. If nothing is happening it is cold and boring. I had a golden eagle come down on me one afternoon when I was calling. I heard the rushing wind off it’s wings as it started getting close and it scared the crap out of me. I knew something was coming fast but I couldn’t figure out where it was until I looked up about the same time it figured out what I was. It flew off and I wiped a bead of sweat off my forehead...

Wait til you call in a pack of wolves Jim, that’s exciting too.

Is the call imitating something specific like a rabbit or is it just general plaintive cries?

There are different distress calls that imitate certain animals. I have always used a cottontail in distress, a mouth call, not electronic.

I used a Primos jack rabbit call today.

I have a cotton tail call too on my lanyard.

It was my first coyote today. Honestly, I could not believe it worked. I even gave a howl at the wrong time!

Damnit I am still pissed at myself for missing.

Do you use any kind of shooting stick or tripod?

I hear ya in getting excited shooting coyotes. It seems like a guy has to rush before you miss your chance and then when you “miss” it seems like you should have taken your time.

Trapped a coon this morning!

Poor cute bastard. A local trapper is coming by in a bit. I don't think it's a catch and release program.

IMG_1651.jpg

Hell if I know. I'll ask the trapper guy if anyone ever eats them. From its nasty attitude I'd suspect not very good.

Franks. To the rescue.

I'm just glad to get rid of the menace. Two wounded cats this winter. Lucky cats are tough bastards because they both got tore up pretty good.

Two coons have been around stealing dog food. Pretty sure they're holed up under my chicken coop. Only a matter of time until they go for a chicken.

Why don't you drive into the endless boondocks surrounding you and let him go, give him a fighting chance

Here's a awesome pic showing one of my owls I took last night. I got within about 50' of him when walking my driveway. Super cool when the hooters are around. In the background that's steam from the local pellet plant. Where they squeeze together wood pellets on a serious basis. It is directly beside the mill that's near me that supplies them with a lot of their fibre.

I should probably hire out as a photographer. :drink:

IMG_1650.jpg

Why don't you drive into the endless boondocks surrounding you and let him go, give him a fighting chance

Terrible idea, and illegal to transport them. So specifically illegally in my province to do as you described. All you are really doing is transplanting the problem. When you drive into the endless woods here in the winter espescially. Where do you suspect that raccoon is going to go? Dashing off into a winter wonderland through 4' deep snow with all his forest buddies? No. he's habituated to humans as a source of food and he's going to go down that road until he finds the first place he can menace or rummage through for anything.

So, set him loose at your neighbour's place. Problem solved:lol:

That may simply be the best owl foto I've seen in all my years as a bird watcher.

Sometimes my photography skills amaze even me.

I was pretty excited when I took the photo. Probably why it's just the slightest bit blurry. :?

Raccoon is not bad.

I have had them cooked before in a slow cooker with bbq sauce.

There is a guy on the internet that cooks them like a pot roast with veggies and such.

It does depend on what they have been eating and where they are living.

Out of a trash can in a subdivision....bad.

Out of a corn field in the country....good.

Back