How'd it go today?

Impressive speed.

You find that most stumps are easier if you cut the top edge first, rather than coming down on to the top.

The radial and growth rings come away better.

Thanks all. I'm happy with it. I'm after those small jobs that the big guys really don't want or can't fit in a reasonable time frame. Municipal grinding is out 2-3 years, with written permission from the city and a locate done HO's have hired me to get them done so they can landscape. I'll take it.

Good point Mick!

I think trying a wood wedge between frame and tire as a brake will help you to not get to deep of a cut, and climb over there stump when you're attacking from the side.

You'll need to feather it a bit more to keep that engine from bogging down, I think, however you'll be more effective. Sorta like using a cross cut chain (standard) for rip cuts.

It's easier to attack from the outside inward, radially, I think. More important with less hp.

Are you sharpening with a green wheel AND appropriate respirator. Pocket teeth are so much more work to change that Green teeth or vermeer Yellow Jackets.

Not a huge expense to upgrade for so few cutters. Might be too much cutting surface for the machine, maybe not.

Thanks Sam!

Great observations Sean. I do give the cutters a quuck tap with a diamond grinding disc with the teeth still installed. Outside and with a grinder's mask. I've been thinking of upgrading, depends on what Vermeer has, not too sure of any other place to get teeth in Ontario.

I run yellow jacket from V. My old rayco is a hair to narrow for Green teeth, which allow 3 cutting surface, rather than 2.

I saw a video of a guy who use a regular grinding wheel on the backing Steel and a green wheel on the carbide period I'm not sure if I could find that video again. I have all my old teeth but haven't tried grinding any.

I don't know about the disc size but the yellow jackets technically have four sides. You need to switch sides of the wheel for that though.

I don't know about the disc size but the yellow jackets technically have four sides. You need to switch sides of the wheel for that though.

News to me.

My problem is my housing it slightly to small. I actually have the hinged "lid" bolted down, because if it's loose to move on the hinge, the side of the cutter hits the inside side of the lid.

News to me.

My problem is my housing it slightly too small for yellow jackets, as well. I actually have the hinged "lid" bolted down, because if it's loose to move on the hinge, the side of the cutter hits the inside side of the lid.

I've been learning a lot about gravel and dirt and compaction and all that business this week. I needed to put in a round pen before my garden area gets figured out. So simple right, a few loads of gravel/sand and away we go. Wrong. I'm in 9 dump truck loads deep now and I've got a fairly stable base to put my sand onto I think. :whine:

A lot of dirt moving and levelling and prepping for a 35hp tractor and front end loader. A friend lent me a vibrating roller which has been a lifesaver. Always interesting to get on a articulating machine when you haven't run one for awhile.

Back