How'd it go today?

Pete...glad to hear there is some work, but it is truth you tell, long days with a saw will hurt for a while. Be careful, don't get hurt, and give my best to Bear and Jo.
I hear you loud & clear Burnham - thank you
it was 2001 the last time I had to be commercially viable in the woods, things have changed a little. I am now felling for a harvester - everything will be winched to roadside & processed there, so dressing off is minimal - heavy limbs only
Stig - yes it is coppice. The woodland was clearfelled in the 1940 & left to regenerate. Nothing has been done since & my remit is to open it up drastically to allow understory to recover. The woodland is managed primarily for pheasant shooting.

Oh & I get to run the cutest little winch tractor ever 8)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 91
Took out a big dead oak this morning for one of my favorite customers. On 200 acres in the middle of all the cities. This was to give " the wood choppers club" something to do. They are suits that come out a few times a year to run a tank of fuel through their brand new saws and then brag about how hard they worked.
One of my groundies brought his camera and got some great shots. Waiting on him to email them. I'm glad he took pics because it was probably the largest dead tree climb I've ever done. Removing a healthy one on the property tomorrow because it leers toward one of the nine mini-mansions on the property.

I hear you loud & clear Burnham - thank you
it was 2001 the last time I had to be commercially viable in the woods, things have changed a little. I am now felling for a harvester - everything will be winched to roadside & processed there, so dressing off is minimal - heavy limbs only
Stig - yes it is coppice. The woodland was clearfelled in the 1940 & left to regenerate. Nothing has been done since & my remit is to open it up drastically to allow understory to recover. The woodland is managed primarily for pheasant shooting.

Oh & I get to run the cutest little winch tractor ever 8)

Nice !!,......That would be so useful for some of the small New England plots, easily transportable and high line skidding.

Spent yesterday working over at my daughter's house place. Got power back to the pump so there is water on site. Got most of the batter boards up prepping for digging footings. Would be so much easier if the rain would move out...

What are the two chrome poles on top for?

They are called "out riggers" they extend up and out. You can attach your fishing line to them and "troll" with the lines a little further from the boat. When you are off shore and fishing for Mahi Mahi, wahoo, or sailfish, trolling is the best method to catch them.

They are stored in the down position to get under the bridges.

I took the day off today, so spent much of my day chatting with old friends. My favorite call was to Bob Underwood, who now lives near Avon Illinois. Bob and I spent nearly an hour chatting about tree work, as well as about some of our favorite tree stories. I love hearing Bob's tree stories. He's got a few to tell that just make me wonder.....such as hitting something in a tree with his saw, only later to discover that he cut lengthwise down the entire length of a 16 penny nail. What are the odds of that happening?

Bob has a new business that he's trying to get established. If anyone here has had a chance to work with Bob Underwood in the past, he could sure use our help by providing his company with a good review.

Go to Porch.com and look up Underwood and Associates near Avon, Illinois. If you could provide a good customer review for his business, he'd greatly appreciate the help. I believe I was the first person to offer a review, but I'm sure there are many here who could provide a good, honest review for him.

It would be greatly appreciated if some of you folks would take the time to help Bob out with that.

Joel

Yup, saftey first. A local guy fell 60' out of a tree this week doing crane work, free climbing and slipped apparently. Safe habits lead to safety. The accident pyramid, etc.

Had a me day which generally is lots to show for my time spent. Had a fuel pump install to do on a gen3 Camaro. I've now pulled and put the thing back in a third time for a pair of bad pumps in a row.
Just the bs one needs!
Wish I payed much more attention to and learned newer auto diagnostics. After today I just love points and mechanical fuel pumps. Schematic shows 4 ways it can be killed via sensors or Ecm. After all day testing I may know if my diagnosis is correct. Pulled plenum to ohm check all injectors as well as that's a 5th in what could be wrong :rolleyes:
On a happy note got my first Dept.of transportation job.

Stayed home sick today. My oldest daughter started it and it finally made it to me yesterday. I did start that large removal yesterday but Mother Nature was being a bit moody. By the time I got home my temp was 102 and I was out of it entirely. All day in misery so I decided to order a hitchhiker to cheer myself up. OUT OF STOCK. I'm being punished for something I'm sure.

Hectic day today. Went to prep for pouring tomorrow, but with the rain supposedly coming in tonight, called in a couple of extra hands and went ahead this afternoon.

Yep.

Called a friend in Devil's Lake this morning, it was his birthday. Had not talked to him for a couple of years, my fault. We went to college together.

As I was hanging up another friend drove in the yard. He is doing a directional bore under a road for a water line project for me. Shit. I did not have the casing that he needed because the screwball outfit I ordered it from could not figure it out, how to get it on my trailer when I drove the three hours to pick it up tuesday. So I spaced it. After I apologized I started calling people to see if they would go with me to get the pipe. It is 200 feet of 4 inch HDPE black coil pipe. NIGHTMARE to handle, so I did not want to take my wife. My part time helper got out of work at the National Guard and he went with me. GIANT cluster getting it loaded. Got a wide load sign and flashing light because we were 12 ft wide. Did pretty good getting home until the flashing light flew off the cab of the pickup and bashed my mirror, I then threw a temper tantrum and ripped the light apart, destroying the vent shade on my window in the process. Bull in a china shop I am......

Got the pipe home and another friend was waiting at the house, just to visit. He stayed for supper, roast beef supper! Roast beef, boiled carrots, and boiled potatoes. So, pretty good day.

At least my friend in Devil's Lake thinks I am less of a D-Bag now. I really am a D-Bag, I should call my friends more often.

Back