How'd it go today?

Stump grind yesterday for a tree I couldn't get down solo, someone else took it down. Motor shop today, rain. Next week I have 4 take downs, 2 are clean ups, gonna use the mill!
20170929_121724.jpg

I think I posted before some rewinds. May be not?

Yup, counter counts turns.

No access to auto crane parts here. Mostly alt current motors, and those parts are dwindling. :(

I spent a day and a half going to rewind shops in Alberta looking for brushes. No one had ever seen the brushes I needed, and did not think they could get them.

The little DC motors are pretty sturdy, usually just need bearings and brushes. Maybe a brush spring.

I finally found a shop that could do them in Missouri or something. Well, I sent my cores and he sent reman motors. I think he had a good profit margin going as the reman motors were pretty shoddy.

Yup. DC usually has slightly larger bars, but it's not a rule. Higher copper content is best for brushes in motors exposed to the weather.

I got a nice little truck the other day. It's not what I was looking for but it'll get me by for a couple years. It'll pull the dump trailer and maybe I'll get ramps to put the mini in the back 20170928_181210.jpg

Does anyone here ramp their minis up onto the back of a truck and if so what length ramp do you prefer?

I always hauled mine in a dump trailer and only had it on a truck deck once or twice I think? I don't recall the length of the ramps but I do remember I made them longer than the stock ones that came with the trailer, I added a couple of feet.

The length required is going to vary on a lot of factors but generally the longer or longest you can handle and transport are going to be best.

It's all about the angle, so what works with one truck could be a moot point on a taller truck.

Man, that's desolate!

A great place to launch rockets...

I had a hard time finding a space big enough around here and eventually quit the hobby.

Yep, got her all chunked down. The homeowner wanted the stump left 30" tall for a table. Blow off the roofs and a little cleanup and it will be finished.

I get so tired of the homeowners who want the stump left high for a table/plant stand/momento/whatever. It's a phucking termite condo, nothing more. Every single time I've left a stump high at the owner's request and then saw it again months later, I regretted it. I pretty much refuse to do it any more. I convince them it's a terrible idea and then cut it off properly. The only ones I will leave high are the ones with chain link fence grown through the middle.

Back