How'd it go today?

This has been happening today...excited to see it.

Attachments

• 20170306_120915.jpg
    20170306_120915.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 3341.jpg
    3341.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 30
Oh yeah...I'd love to get my chipper repainted, looks good!
Butch, haha...

Mick that's a good bit of windblow, will the timber get used for anything or is it just a clean up and take away?
Jim, yes aerial support is great, the TFS have at least three firefighting helicopters available in the season and some fixed wing if necessary. They'd rather throw a lot of resources at a small fire and get it out early than have it get away.

The Ariel service guy came out today since I had problems with my truck on Saturday. The good news is im getting better at diagnosing the problems. Bad news is I was right. The pump is done. It would give just enough to make things look like they wanted to work but not enough to do it. Only reason I came up with that was the outriggers were slow. If they were fine I would've guessed the safety interlocks were messed up. Overnighting a new one. Spent the afternoon climbing. Hit five smallish maples from on tie in and took out two more tall ones before the boss shut us down. We all were hoping he would since it was pissing rain all afternoon. Days like today I wish I had a wraptor. I'm whooped. My hats off to all of you that climb daily. I used to and wish I still did when I have these kinda days. I'm out of shape.

Thanks...I am going to have to ask Randall, my body man, what the actual name is. I have a 1949 International truck I rebuilt...it is "Hunter Green", a very dark green. I asked him to get this close. He just sent me these a few minutes ago:

Attachments

• chipper paint by Randall  (2).jpg
    chipper paint by Randall (2).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 40
  • chipper paint by Randall  (3).jpg
    chipper paint by Randall (3).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 41
  • chipper paint by Randall  (4).jpg
    chipper paint by Randall (4).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 39
Looks good Gary!
That thing cleaned up well!
Did you see Sams aka grendals paint job?
I think he put a decal kit on his.

OOOPs.....

Just a couple views from today after the snow melted..
Helped pull a couple over then let the boys work the messes into the fires while I stripped out some more. Just protecting under story here.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 38
Gary, nice!
Rich, hope the repair works.
Stephen, great job and pics!

Another shop day today. Little stumper earned a new air filter, oil change and spark plug. Waiting for the ground to dry up a bit, I've the go ahead for 4 little tree jobs.

Nice looking chipper, Gary!

Second day of strong winds here, no tree climbing. Just got an email about a white pine blowing down, I did an rcx on it a few months ago. He didn't come right out and say it but I get the feeling the owner is blaming me for the blow down.:|: Going over to check it out now, I'll snap some pics...

Little chippy look GREAT Gary!!

Howling sustained 40 mph winds here today. Blew the tops of the distribution lines right off the poles, ripped out service drops, blew multiple transformers. Watched trees come down on the roads as we were driving to other downed trees. . . Forest is shaking off like a wet dog.

Nice paint job, Gary.

I got real lucky today.
We are still logging flat out and have 2-3 weeks yet to go.
Today I was felling a beech, sliding it off another one. Since it was co-dominant, I was afraid one top would break off and come back at me ( They can reach WAY behind the stump) I was walking backwards away from the tree while looking up.
Damned thing quarter turned and slid backwards off the stump........fast!
I didn't even see it coming, when it bowled me over. Hit my left shin and ancle and scaped me along the ground.
I thought for sure, my leg was broken, it hurt that bad.
Got away with a badly scraped shin and a very sore knee from having my leg bent backwards, some.

Can't believe I got off with so little to show for it. It broke the hickory handle of the maul, I was holding as it hit me.

So I guess you can say that I'm tougher than an old axe handle.

I've hardened my shins for the last 40 years, because I use them for kicking in karate, that was probably a good thing.

Something else from today.
I felled a beech this morning that measured 52 inches across the stump with an 18 inch bar!
Not by choice, but the forester had marked it, even though it was a generation older than the ones around it that I was felling.
I was about a mile from the truck, so it was either that, or walk all the way back for the 661, use it on one tree and carry it back.

It had heavy front lean, so I figured it could pull any fiber, I missed, out.

Guess that makes me president of the Treehouse short bar association:D

Especially since the other contender, a certain Ms Bermy, has recently been seen in compromizing pictures, posing with long bars.:lol:

You were good for another couple of inches Stig.
Kinda had a crappy day. Was irritated from the time I woke up. 90% chance of rain and no call or text. Get to the shop and no one was called off. Everyone was whining about the weather but went out. I left and was about 40 feet up a tree when the guys showed up. Because of the tight location we left the chipper overnight ( right under my next removal) and no one else seemed to think it was a good idea to assist the driver backing in. After 20 minutes of waiting on them the chipper was moved and I did my thing. Truck was full and they pulled the chipper up and unhooked. Drive right off the matting and buried it. I gave them a ride back to the shop and have been doing what the young guys do on rain days. I seem to have caught a good buzz and it's not even 2:00 pm.

Back