How'd it go today?

Got a call from a homeowner who had started taking his cherry three down and eventually chickened out.
Wise move, he most likely would have hurt himself badly.

I had a Picea Omorica to remove and stump grind today, so I told him I'd swing by on my way home.

As I was putting on my harness, while he and his wife were watching, he told me: " With gear like that, I could have done it myself".

So I told him it was about time for me to have my lunch, if he wanted to borrow my gear and do the job himself while I ate, feel free.
That took care of mr. Loud mouth, pronto.

When I left after 3/4 of an hour ( Easy cut and drop job) he paid me in cash and added a nice tip for quick service.

So I told him it was about time for me to have my lunch, if he wanted to borrow my gear and do the job himself while I ate, feel free.
That took care of mr. Loud mouth, pronto.

haha...priceless...the old fella walked into that one.:lol:

I've used that one a couple of times. Said it to my crew multiple times and once to my boss as well. That one always seems to end the talking.;)

The mail order bride's youngest son ( Somewhere around 25, I think) is visiting us .
Last time here, he asked if he could try my lathe and ended up stuck to it for a week.
He diligently went through all the practice tasks that I set him, like turning coves and balls hours after hours and eventually made a real nice candle stick to take home.
When he got here yesterday, he told me he wanted to make a set of small bowling pins for his little nephew.
I had some nice dry ash wood in my shed, so when I got home today, I cut a stack of blanks for him.

Right now he is turning ash wood into shavings and I think we'll have a hard time getting him to come in for dinner.:)

I love it that he doesn't mind the endless repetition that is needed in order to learn the trade.
One has to go through the motions untill they become ingrained and fell natural.

It is fun to teach someone who is really "turned on" by woodturning.

Sounds good Stig.

My day.....started slightly hungover, went shopping, then decided I have too many saws, two in particular are surplus.

Husky 372 and a pre chain brake Stihl 076 (111cc) so rather than sell them off I'm going to port them. Bought a dremel and watched some youtube vids, I will undoubtedly bollocks it up, but nothing ventured...

Might as well give it a shot Mick. Hopefully they have paid for themselves many times over and this goes well, but if not, they were just "extras". Honestly I'm trying to wrap my head around having to many saws. I personally own 13 and don't think it's too many.

It's just those two never get used, except very rarely just to make sure the carbs don't rot or whatever.

They might as well get superpowers or blow up.

Fi, good show!

Sounds like a good situation Stig.

Mick, good luck! I wanna do that to some of my older saws sometime soon. I just found out a guy ports saws from all over just lives half hour away from me.

Rich, I'm at 10 or so, 58 might be too many, but not 13.

Did some chipping today. Cleaned up the GF's back yard. Spent a few hours, better then being inside with all the yelling and fighting. I need a bigger chipper.

She did buy me booze and made ribs. Don't know what that is all about......
20170902_121439.jpg

Peter
I started with a 5 hp like that. Woulda liked 11.5 at the time. I've seen 4" promark chippers that would be very light behind your truck, maybe even the S10. Do you have a government surplus site for selling off property?

Groundman didn't follow through on eliminating a hazard that he repeated thought about...1" horizontal split 1" below his eye, as a result. Stood up into an open door box door on the pickup. They just glued him up. Almost discharged, now.

Another employee was left to clean the mini last week, unsupervised. I put the safety support-stand on the piston, arms up. He decided to not where a hard hat and stand up into the steel grapple spikes on the hell plate.

What to do?

I guess that's what happens when I beat them with the whip to work harder and ignore safety. Oh wait, that's not how I roll.

Thankfully, homeowner was already gone, happy as a clam with the progress.

Sounds good Stig.

My day.....started slightly hungover, went shopping, then decided I have too many saws, two in particular are surplus.

Husky 372 and a pre chain brake Stihl 076 (111cc) so rather than sell them off I'm going to port them. Bought a dremel and watched some youtube vids, I will undoubtedly bollocks it up, but nothing ventured...

Mick, just so you know those 372's are sought after for there power to weight. They do port nice and get impressively strong.

The mail order bride's youngest son ( Somewhere around 25, I think) is visiting us .
Last time here, he asked if he could try my lathe and ended up stuck to it for a week.
He diligently went through all the practice tasks that I set him, like turning coves and balls hours after hours and eventually made a real nice candle stick to take home.
When he got here yesterday, he told me he wanted to make a set of small bowling pins for his little nephew.
I had some nice dry ash wood in my shed, so when I got home today, I cut a stack of blanks for him.

Right now he is turning ash wood into shavings and I think we'll have a hard time getting him to come in for dinner.:)

I love it that he doesn't mind the endless repetition that is needed in order to learn the trade.
One has to go through the motions untill they become ingrained and fell natural.

It is fun to teach someone who is really "turned on" by woodturning.

Way cool!

We set everything on dunnage. At the loading site we use a heavy hook rig and drill holes in the end of the block. I have a photo uploaded of that, but I don't know how to add it to a post from my phone.

Easy, if you have the right tools. We set this rigging with the crane. That's 3/4" grade 100 chain. The entire rig probably weighs 500 pounds. It is designed to lift up to 20 tons, which is no problem for the crane.

IMG_20161119_112738435.jpg

Wow, great rock pics!

Good tale of the apprentice wood turner Stig, always wished I could try it sometime.
Did another neighbour job yesterday, I was weeding my own garden when they stopped by...went right over and took care of it (reduction prune 3 small badly mullered eucalypts, after application of saw at 10' prob 5 years ago...) $150, and got a $50 tip :)

Took the horse out for a trip.

The snag in the background is a constant reminder to me of the closest I've come to making a fatal mistake.
I topped it about 20 years ago, and misjudged the lean and how rotten the wood on the side where my backcut was.It went way earler than I had anticipated, barberchaired on me, hit another tree and broke off and came backwards above me as I was standing in spurs and lanyard.
After hesitating for what felt like a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time, it eventually broke completely off and fell to the other side of the stem.
Had it decided to fall on my side, it would have been goodbuy for sure.
I had a mental video of that running in my head for quite a while after, when I was lounging on the couch at home.

That is one reason I always put a chain below and above the cut when I top dubious trees today. P1050652.JPG

The dogs like him, too:)

He hit some backed up traffic in Germany and didn't make it here till 11 PM.
When he rolled in, the dogs went berserk.
I let them out, and as soon as he opened the car door, the angry barks turned to happy whining.

I'm still plugging away on the wind tossed hickory .Then again I don't get on it every day .About another hour I'll have it all chunked up and ready for the splitter .Then there's a problem,I blew out one of my rear tractor tires which is not surprising on 40 year old tires .Another pair is in transit as I type ,be here Wednesday .For those who haven't done it changing a rear tractor tire is a real joy----not .

Back