How'd it go today?

Ticks & lymes are rampant around here now, especially on the moors. I am monitoring a bite too. Having dogs, even with the modern repellent brings them into the house too.
Both my bites this year were from work I think & I will not buy chainsaw trousers without built in gaiters anymore.

I have bites on my legs and stomach from 10 or more years ago, still have lumps under the skin. Never been diagnosed (they say it's hard to diagnose) but I blame a lot of my weakness and pain on Lyme. Been working in the dirt since I was 12, I've been bitten by damn near every bug out there.

This is all very worrying.

I googled the symptoms and I don't have any. Never found a tick on me either, hope it's not just a case of ignorance being bliss.

Shit! I forgot about the cover crops!

They failed.

Possibly another route to gathering up needed winter forage. No covers to speak of this year.

Grazing crop residue is essentially free and is good for the soil...I think.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0LHlWFrro5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some years they can grow corn on the dryland, but mostly its grown on irrigated ground.

It is very expensive to grow and put up, but yes, there is some silage put up around here.

Quite a bit of corn failed this year, even with irrigation.

Yep! Me and a buddy moved his brother to Minocqua (about forty minutes south of the UP) two weeks ago and it was really wet.

Ticks also carry Bartonella (bacteria, and worse than Lyme), Babesia (malaria like parasite), Rickettsia, Viruses, and many other things you don't want! Please don't play around with this stuff, as it can kill if left untreated. IF IN DOUBT, GO GET TESTED! The best lab for testing in the US is Igenix in Palo Alto Ca.

We are getting a new fun one in from Northern Scandinavia: TBE, Tick borne encephalitis.

Hunters bring their dogs up their and bring infected ticks home that way.

Not seen in my part of the country yet, fortunately.

Ha! I did not notice it the first time I looked. Pretty neat.

Been about a week now working on the flex header for my combine....a header supposed to be "field ready".

John Deere in my area does not see many flex heads, so they have been ordering me the wrong parts. Finally got a skid plate today, after being delayed two days....and found out they ordered me the wrong poly plate for it.

Skid is like 400 bucks, so I dont want to just bolt it on without the poly.

Be here tomorrow I guess. Nothing has been right so far.

Fighting off the urge to cut the lentils with the rigid platform......but I know it would be a waste of time and I would not get half the lentils in the combine.

Very disappointed.

Back