O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Naval Jelly is rust remover, gelled phosphoric acid... wouldn't be well suited for protecting battery terminals, I think.

Well, go big or go home.

When we pull trees in the woods, we don't exactly use a skidsteer, which seems to be the preferred choice among self proclaimed top arborists these days.
We use a forwarder, a skidder or a 15 ton tractor mounted winch.

Those all pull like hell and coupled with a 22 ton breaking strength Dyneema rope, the weak point is the porty used to terminate the rope in those cases where we don't use it's full length.

The standard issue got a wasp waist from the rope tightening, so we had a massive copy made.
Then we managed to destroy that as well, fortunately without losing the tree backwards.

So here is our new MEGA porty.

Damned thing weighs about 40 pds.
Good thing we have an apprentice to drag it around.

P1050831.JPG P1050832.JPG

I guess one could if one was a masochist.
This one will only be used as the go-between either winch/skidder line, forwarder and the Dyneema rope.
The very large diameter should be good for the Dyneema.

Picked up a Morbark 20/36 chipper with 100hp Cummins on Friday. This morning I just found an older Stihl MS660 on Craigslist that I hope to have in my paws by the end of the day. I just can't help myself.

Just texted him, he's bringing it to my jobsite at 10:30. :D

Why do you love 660s?

Just curious.

They were the last generation of weak, killed by emission laws, felling saws, that Stihl put out, before going computerized.

Personally, I find the 661 to be the best thing since the legendary 064.

This is an older MS660 with the old style gas and oil caps. No flip caps! I got it for $600 after pulling the muffler and inspecting the piston and cylinder. Very minor scratches on the piston above the ring but clean below the ring and the cylinder looks good. Strong compression and it fired right up.

The 660 will get the inner baffle box in the muffler cut out, at least. That's easy enough. I can't believe I got my hands on one with the old style screw in gas caps!

Why do you love 660s?

Just curious.

They were the last generation of weak, killed by emission laws, felling saws, that Stihl put out, before going computerized.

Personally, I find the 661 to be the best thing since the legendary 064.

I guess I got a older one like brains.Cuts like a moefo..Must of my daily users are older 660,075,038,036Im still hanging on to my 020/200tcross bread.
I shouldn't say daily users.I'm more of a weekend warrior.

Back