O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I have to look at how much work it would do towards paying for itself. CDL, DOT, certs, taxes, inspections in commiefornia as well. 1 hour away, it would be working like a dog and might be worth the trouble. Certainly would be awesome along the road ways, but CalTrans and PG&E have that pretty sewn up.

Oh sure, you are right...the machine might be able to perform the next best thing to magic, but you still have to be able to get in the market for that to bear fruit.

The payments on equipment like that would eat a fella alive if it sat unworked very much, I suspect.

Yup. Take that thing over into bass lake, Huntington lake, shaver lake, tahoe... where the money is and sign up with the line clearance crews, you'll have a couple more years of hard work for it. After that, better commute it to the valley to work it.
I've used a crane more in the last two years than ever and that is only maybe once in a quarter. If we had something like Paul's set up, probably more. Compact enough to get in tighter than the 15 ton I hire now.

Perhaps these should go in the work picture's thread, but here's one tree (of 7) from today's job. The job started as 2 trees :lol:. We got a late start, I'll go back in the morning and clean up the pile of debris.

Yes, the truck is expensive, but it certainly doesn't have to work every day or even every week for my company. It can make its payment in 2-4 days.

Another point... when your equipment undergoes a massive paradigm shift, so does your work. Back when I just had a mini I couldn't fathom finding enough easy access work to justify a lift... then I got a towable lift and later a Nifty SD64. Next thing you know I have stable of equipment and a grapple truck and now a Treemek... the work will develop. Today's job nearly doubled in terms of money. Two other Treemek jobs materialized, roughly half a day's work and almost half a payment. The fun thing is paying for your overhead, which I define as including idle equipment's payments/depreciation.

2017-03-14 13.57.26.jpg
2017-03-14 13.56.36.jpg
2017-03-14 16.53.52-1.jpg

You will probably get a lot of jobs just based on a prospective client wanting to watch that "thing" run at their house. (As opposed to a climber doing exact same work.)

Interesting point, the old "build it and they will come" theory.

And until then, the old way of doing work can tote the note, so to speak. 10 years ago I bought my mini and was all nervous about the $257.93/month payment... Seems funny now.

You will probably get a lot of jobs just based on a prospective client wanting to watch that "thing" run at their house. (As opposed to a climber doing exact same work.)

Exactly. I got two jobs Tuesday just because of that. The truck needs more flashing lights and signage!
View attachment 77595

I told Carl this snow cat bucket should one up him!

I told you to do it! Although I think it would make a bucket truck look like a narrow access machine!

I would NOT try to one up Carl....

What, 'lil ole me?:|::lol:

Back