O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Was looking on Craigslist for toolboxes for my new chip truck and found a Stihl MS440. Old man had it, was too much saw for him. Picked it up for $450.

IMG_0114.JPG

I wish it oiled better. It only uses a third of a tank of oil per tank of gas, chain stretches and needs adjustment every 2 tanks. I can run my Huskys all day without having to tighten the chain.

Could simply be the pick-up body being clogged, and not need to go deeper.

You've likely changed a bunch of oilers in your days. I forget what the trick is regarding the output hose, but on the one I changed, there was something to make it easier than was intuitive, IIRC. Been 6-7 years ago.

At least, the aluminum body of the pump wears around the piston, and if there's canola oil, it can plug it or /and jam it if the saw doesn't see some use for a while.

Bought a new 7" chipper today.
Swung it by our signage maker and had logo put on it right away.
I really like TP chippers, this is my 3rd.
Only problem was they rust. According to the manufacturer, they changed their priming and painting procedure 1½ years ago, so that should be a thing of the past.
I must say the finish looks a lot better done on this new one.
We got an obscenely high price for the old one, TP chippers really hold their value well. It was 9 years old and we got about half what we paid for it new.

P1050773.JPG

Yep, 35 hp diesel.

Like I said, it is the 3rd I own, so I'm really familiar with them.
With the firewood market the way it is here, anything bigger than 7" will go to that.

If we have lots of big poplars and stuff, we bring in one of the BIG truckmounted chippers ( the one we currently call for takes 48" and has a splitting agregate for stuff that is bigger) and sell the chips for biofuel.
So this is the right size for us.

I think you may have mentioned that. :P

It's fun, the write offs are better(up here atleast). Depending on what you make you can save money by having more depreciation and at the same time running new stuff.

The shine doesn't last long though.

Back