O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

It seemed good to be able to grind while sitting down. :dontknow:

You'd think so. But firstly because it's hydraulically driven (as opposed to belt driven like my rayco) it loses power to the wheel. Not so serious on big machines, but 40hp....

Secondly they're just not ergonomically good, can't see diddly.

Ps by transfer I meant my money to the supplier.

Got a few new pieces in the arsenal today. Been working on this deal for a few months. Mainly I was trying to save enough to pay cash but didn't quite make that dream come true.
IMG_1753.jpg IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1751.jpg
Didn't really want to do this but my stump guy decided 76 years old was time to retire. Got a sweet deal on the package plus he's gonna keep his number active for a year to forward the business.

Cool! My local stump guy works full time with his big tow behind and has his son (also a tree guy) run the smaller self propelled grinder part time. Bobby makes a good living just doing stumps and he doesn't charge a lot, either. $75 minimum (used to be $50) and most stumps are $100 or less. If you play it right you may be able to turn the stump business into a full time job for one employee. But it will really suck trying to do stumps for other guys after you get done with your own work every day.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 44
It's gonna be tough at the present time as I'm still employed by another company. This is just another couple of water fowl that have slid into a linear fashion. Almost there. I need to find a new chip truck, a crane guy, and hoping to get a shot at a small municipal contract. I've already been told I'll be invited to bid on county work but that will be a low blow to my current employer who does most of the work for them.

Kee-riest, it looks like the old codger kept those machines in mint condition, what a find!!

Mik, I'm sure he bought the big one for big stumps with access, those will be blown away in minutes, and the little one for chasing roots/multiple small stumps, stumps with poor access. I do the same thing with double grinders, it works out fine because I work extremely local. Sure, having one big 100hp self propelled machine to do it all would be nice but this is a close second imo. For one thing, a tow behind has much greater chip capacity than a self propelled and that is a time saver right there.

My guy prefers the tow behind over the big portable because of the extra stability added with the truck attached to the grinder. On big stumps when you get aggressive the portable machine will push off the stump. But with the tow behind it won't get pushed around as much.

My self propelled weighs in at 3700 pounds , it doesn't get pushed around much. Biggest weakness is it doesn't like hills, poor traction

Nice.

Do you like it overall?

I had a Carlton 35 hp that wore out kinda quick.

My guy prefers the tow behind over the big portable because of the extra stability added with the truck attached to the grinder. On big stumps when you get aggressive the portable machine will push off the stump. But with the tow behind it won't get pushed around as much.

I managed to flip a 90 horse Rayco tow behind an level ground getting a little to cocky with how much chip pile I could ignore. It was a Duetz air cooled engine too - I love the sound of those engines powering up and powering down.

Any damage?

Rayco liked that sound too, it used to play when you entered the website. Now they went Kubota.

Package deal. Both grinders or none. Plus the almost never touched TM splitter. He would power wash the machines every night and Rayco did all the maintenance. They're in almost new condition for being 2004 machines.
IMG_1758.jpg IMG_1759.jpg
Jason running the big boy at his house and the aftermath of the portable at mine. I played with the TM a bit also but we all know what split wood looks like

Back