O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I'm going to see the original treemek in action soon. I honestly can't wait but am also a bit saddened. I'm approaching the big 4-0 and need to back off on the physical side a bit but not sure I want to let go yet.

I have mixed feelings about the Mek. One, it's awesome for cutting trees and even on a bad day I still have a crane. Still, it's a big nugget to swing and I was making far more money elsewhere with that money... my theory is the Mek is a diversification of risk, and can make its big ROI after a storm.

I have mixed feelings about the Mek. One, it's awesome for cutting trees and even on a bad day I still have a crane. Still, it's a big nugget to swing and I was making far more money elsewhere with that money... my theory is the Mek is a diversification of risk, and can make its big ROI after a storm.

I didn't think I ate THAT much for lunch....:cry:

Today I picked up my second 2 leg, adjustable bridle sling. It is made with Crosby hardware and 2x15' legs of 9/32" G100 chain. I also have a duplicate of that same bridle with Crosby Shur-locs for the end hardware. 9/32" G100 chain has a working load limit of 4300lbs.

I also bought a Crosby 1.5" S209 shackle to act as a sort of temporary master link for putting combinations of slings together. The shackle is rated for 17t (18.7 imperial tons), which is a pinch more than half the maximum lift for my crane.

2017-03-20 19.22.02.jpg

Haha I'm slipping! I always have made it a point to keep my feet out of those shots... I also should have cropped the picture also.

Dave, I'm going to hard pass on dealing with that chain, it looks powerfully heavy!

Yes, you have to set it in place with the crane. That bit of rigging is probably over 500#. We have a chunk of chain made from 1 1/8" wire at the shop. The links are about 8" long. We don't use it for anything.

It's just a normal link chain. The links are made from "wire" that is 1 1/8" in diameter. It is an old quarry chain, so probably not anywhere near the strength of todays chain, hence the size.

I would love to see a pic of the wire rope chain.

I was at the rock shop today, so I got a shot of one of the big chains. The links are ten inches long, and the wire is an inch and a half in diameter. I'm guessing it's wrought iron by the pitting and the forge welded joints. You can see my Leatherman in the pic. It's four inches long.

IMG_20170323_163757445_HDR.jpg

Back