What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

My wife is in Schweiz this weekend , bringing x-mas gifts for the kids and grand kids.
She flies in at 9 PM, after sitting most of the afternoon stuck in traffic on the Solothurn-Basel highway, because of heavy snowfall.
I figured having a pot full of hearthy soup ready, would make her feel glad to be home.

So I'm cooking a large batch of lentil soup.

I switched when I realized that the " Mail order bride" sobriquet got on your nerves.

The company sent us a nice pea/lentil/chickpea cook book......in appreciation for providing them with such wonderful lentils;)

I am going to try and get ahold of another one to send you Stig. Quite a few of the recipes were vegetarian. I guess thats kind of the point with pulses.

I'd love that, Jim.

I read somewhere that lentils were the stable food of the Roman armies.
It makes sense, actually, since they keep well and don't take up much room when dry.

I had chicken tenders tonight. I guess they beat out chicken nuggets because instead of being cut off, ground up, and reshaped into cool little shapes they are just cut off and breaded. Whatever; I'm supplementing with beer to make up for nutritional value.
The bad part is I've shown my wife how easy and cheap it is to make them "homemade" and was told how much better they are. Only takes a few more minutes

And please share the ox tail soup recipe. I've got some in the freezer that the wife can't figure out how to cook up

Boy, that sounds interesting!

Share a recipe?

Really simple, brown the tails: remove,
chopped four carrots, four celery stalks, two small onion add them to pan and cook until the onions are just beginning to become clear
add tails back in add a quart of beef stock and enough water to cover tails (add more water as it cooks off but not too much) and cook four hours
skim fat
add salt, pepper, thyme, majoram, parsley, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, to taste
pull the tails out and remove meat
add back in
add two cloves pressed garlic and cook twenty minutes more
and eat

I haven't had oxtail stew for years, similar recipe though but I'm a bit of an anti fat nut so takes a bit longer. I put it in the fridge over night to get more fat off.

Got a great recipe for lamb shank pie somewhere but I gave up making it, it just took too long. Three stages, but was worth it in the finish.

It's got to be pretty quick these days, I don't seem to have the time anymore. Braised pork loin steak with plum & chillie sauce, brown basmati rice, cauliflower and broccoli tonight.

Bachelor tonight as my girls are out.

Frozen burger pattie with a fried egg on it I think will be the gourmet meal for the evening.