What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

I've only smoked one other time for guests and it was a unqualified disaster of waiting hours for meat to finish. So I hope I'm ahead of the game today. If they finish early I'll leave them wrapped and wrap them in towels and throw them in a cooler to keep warm. But I don't think that's going to be a problem?

Its funny, I think Stig is a secret Californian, and now it seems Squish is a secret Texan.

Not such a bad thing.

We used to do a lot of whole hog back in the day, either in a giant cooker or buried in the ground.

The buried pigs were the best.

Whole pig cookout would be awesome. I've been places where they've smoked whole pigs but never done it myself. Smoking is a lot more rare up here. Many people never do it or really experience it. I'm fully hooked. I went to a smoke restaurant with my bil in the big city to the south of us and it was amazing. That was it. I needed my own, homemade.

You've seen pics of my flashy truck back when I got it didn't you Jim? I lol, because it has Texas edition flags on it. Came to me that way.

:lol:

The buried pigs were cool. My buddy built a big cooker out of an old propane tank. Dang thing had a 3/8ths shell.

We would use charcoal for about 6 hours to cook one. It had an indirect box for adding wood or you could put charcoal right under the hog.

I have plans to build a smoke house for doing my own bacons and country hams. I dont have a "smoker grill" at this time.

I guess it would depend on what the person wanted. You could cook whole hog with or with out smoke. 10 years ago no one around here did any smoking...now its pretty common.

Good luck on your project today!

Six hours in. Time to slap em and wrap em.

That's six hours at about 210-225, I swapped the meat around from top rack to bottom and vice versa three hours in. Now wrapped I'll kick it up to 250-275 and hopefully not more than another couple hours to juicy tender yumminess.

Basically same as I did last time but x4! I did leave one of them 'dry' in case someone shows up who's insane.

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Yup. What a feast.

Birthday girl was very happy as well as everyone else. Good food and good friends=good times.

Having had it yet, but I am making a broiled butternut squash soup with plenty of onions and garlic.
After snacking on grilled jalapenos all day, I need something soothing.

yes.
Bake it in the oven, hard.
Gives the soup a wonderfull caramel taste.

Ah shit, language mistake!
Roast, not broil..........sorry!

I modified this, added way more onions in order to give it a bit of French onion soupy taste.
Worked well.
Just waiting for the mail order bride to wake up, then I'll reheat the soup, feed her and send her off to work.

https://cookieandkate.com/2015/roasted-butternut-squash-soup/

I thought thats what broil meant!

We had pork chop sandwiches tonight.

Took some pork chops and cut the bone out. Pounded them a little so they were about 5/8ths thick.

Breaded them in flour and spices, egg and bread crumbs.

Fried in a iron skillet with peanut oil.

Put em on a sesame bun with cheddar cheese, mayo and a bit of ketchup.

Really good and cheap. Pork is only 1.65 a pound up here.

Really needed a slice of raw and a tomato. Next time I guess. Going to keep the recipe.

Stig, is your wife a vegetarian as well? I have an English friend, a lady that lives over here too, an interesting gal that lives alone way out in the boonies. We get together and go out for lunch sometimes, catch up. There's almost no place where we can go to eat that has a vegetarian meal. It's kind of a pain in the butt to get together because I know there will be a fruitless discussion about where we can go. Her cooking is well...something not easy to handle. Usually we just go out and get some cake. It seems like it could be problematical to be married to a vegetarian if you weren't one yourself.

You should stop by. Those pork chop sandwiches I cooked last night turned out great.

Had a leftover chop for lunch. Just microwaved it. Still good.

I would cook you up as many as you like. Well, if'n your into that sort of thing.

They are fun to cook.

Stig, is your wife a vegetarian as well? I have an English friend, a lady that lives over here too, an interesting gal that lives alone way out in the boonies. We get together and go out for lunch sometimes, catch up. There's almost no place where we can go to eat that has a vegetarian meal. It's kind of a pain in the butt to get together because I know there will be a fruitless discussion about where we can go. Her cooking is well...something not easy to handle. Usually we just go out and get some cake. It seems like it could be problematical to be married to a vegetarian if you weren't one yourself.

Yes she is.
Didn't choose her for that particular thing, but it sure makes things easier.

I do most of the cooking, here.
After raising 3 kids, she feels that she has cooked enough for a lifetime and a half.
She'll occasionally hanker for some Swiss dish and cook it, that is just fine with me, I love Swiss food.

Son in law and his wife flew in late today, so I had made a cream of cauliflower soup with goat cheese and grilled pumpernickel croutons.
Makes for a good, late night meal.