Weird Palm Trim?

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Is this a normal style of trimming the dead fronds? I've never seen this before.

Derp?

Attachments

• Weird Trim.jpg
    Weird Trim.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 63
Interesting, never seen that trim before. Those particular palms (washingtonia Robusto) are nasty. Back in the 80's growers were growing them like weeds because they grow like weeds :) Left untouched, they look unruly, that trim makes them nice and neat. I like it!

To answer your question, not the norm here in Monroe County. Any idea where that picture was taken?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was from a movie - I can't remember what.

I thought those things eventually broke off and slid down the tree? Those look like they've been there forever!

That's stylized trimming technique, technically called "bottoming", typically performed at 55', unless the truck is a baby bucket, then possibly 30-40'. Shaped with a hedge trimmer.:lol:

Seen something like it at hotels in Mexico. I think they actually harvest the fronds there for the little cabana roofs on the beach. But they trimmed some like that around the hotel.

Seems like a perfect nest for all sorts of creepy things.

There's a USA flag and is that a state flag of some sort? Also looks like windmills on the hill in the back?

That looks like a California state flag:

CA_flag.png
Ask Nick From WI about palms if you want to hear how bad they are. He dislikes them so much that he offered to fly me out to LA, pay me to do a date palm prune and fly me home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess if you're gonna leave them on they may as well be trimmed like that!

I'm guessing not so destructive unless you're a rat or raccoon living in the palm fronds. Burning typically won't kill the palms but it does get rid of all the dead fronds.

Back