Sharpening hedge trimmer

Maximalist

Ок
How do You sharpen hedge trimmer?

74d5240e4bd2.jpg
[/url

I sharpen them sometimes but its not always possible as they are hardened.
When I do I make sure there is no burr or uneven surface that they can snag. If there is it often lead to larger costly repais as broken gearbox etc. Wear is a thing to look at...
If they are good and sharpened right, they get thinner swallow bigger stuff and gearbox go kaboom.

Best is to replace them with mew, especially if there is damages on cutters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sharpen them sometimes but its not always possible as they are hardened.
When I do I make sure there is no burr or uneven surface that they can snag. If there is it often lead to larger costly repais as broken gearbox etc. Wear is a thing to look at...
If they are good and sharpened right, they get thinner swallow bigger stuff and gearbox go kaboom.

Best is to replace them with mew, especially if there is damages on cutters.

Magnus, what tool do you use for sharpening?

I use an 80 grit sanding disk on an angle grinder. They are thin enough to just fit between one edge without hitting the other. If used with a light touch it will not de-temper the blade and it leaves a nice micro serration on the edge.

Nice job, Andreij.
I do about a month of hedge trimming every year, but that is taking it to another level.
They really look great in the summer picture.
Lots of work, though, compared to pollarding them as we do here.

Magnus, what tool do you use for sharpening?

I use hand grinder with ceramic, dressed grinder disks. Same disc I use to cut chains and clearing saw blades.
It takes some practice and they easily blow up from vibrations that easily come if you don't pay attension to what you do.
But worth it as they don't temper cutter and change hardening. If done correct there is no burr or uneven surfaves of edge.
Saves a lot of gas in a year on the cutters that run a lot.

It must be non flexible discs to get correct shape on edge. if its ever so slightly flexible you get more than one angle and often slightly domed edge. I like them straight or slightly u shaped as it saves a lot of power, 25% or more depending on cutter.

Do you freak-out over EVERYTHING?

Looking good, Max - but I'd go nuts doing that!

No freaking out, just expressing an opinion. But I guess that isn't always welcomed here if it isn't in line with the 'in' crowd. I do not think any tree should be trimmed with hedge trimmers. I think it looks hideous. It has nothing to do with Russia and nothing to do with the effort put forth by the man holding the hedge trimmers. Just a terrible thing to do to a tree in my opinion.

I guess I will have to refrain even further from expressing my opinions here. Seems my every thought rocks the boat and we can't have that.

... I guess I will have to refrain even further from expressing my opinions here. Seems my every thought rocks the boat and we can't have that.

LOL! Most people get more mellow as they age, Brian just keeps getting feistier. :lol:

For years we had a contract clearing billboards. I trimmed thousands of trees with hedge trimmers. I never sharpened them; they always died before they got dull. And for what it's worth, other than the aesthetic aspect of it, the trees didn't seem to give a crap about being topped every year or two. They grew back with a vengeance.

No freaking out, just expressing an opinion. But I guess that isn't always welcomed here if it isn't in line with the 'in' crowd. I do not think any tree should be trimmed with hedge trimmers. I think it looks hideous. It has nothing to do with Russia and nothing to do with the effort put forth by the man holding the hedge trimmers. Just a terrible thing to do to a tree in my opinion.

I guess I will have to refrain even further from expressing my opinions here. Seems my every thought rocks the boat and we can't have that.

Why is it such a terrible thing to do? It makes a nice pretty shape, pleasing to the eye.

As for the hedge trimmers thing, why not? What is it about hedge trimmers that upsets you as opposed to silkys, power pruners, chainsaws or s?cateurs?

It’s a tree, planted for ornamental value just like hedging or topiary, not a bear made to dance with an electric prodder.

Explain what it is that goes against your ethos please.

Here?s another picture I found, notice the people staggering around In dumbstruck horror at what has happened to the trees.

Attachments

• F7CDDFF3-8656-4DE9-A9D2-83C8744C0AAB.jpeg
    F7CDDFF3-8656-4DE9-A9D2-83C8744C0AAB.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 25
It's interesting to see tree work from around the world. Hell, around here people don't give a shit. Broken branches down, not touched for years. I posted a pic years ago of a broken spruce branch on a roof of a house, it's still there.

I?m with you, Brian. I don?t top trees either. But I gotta admit, that sure does look nice!

What does a yearly trim have to do with "topping"?

So you don't condone hedges either, I take it.
Most hedges here are made from Beech, Field maple and Hornbeam. Those are trees ( or will be if they live long enough) so giving them a twice yearly going over with the hedge trimmers, is a sin to you and Brian, I guess.

So what would be okay to do the yearly haircut thing on.

Carrots?

Back