Roll off truck bodies

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Hi all.....it's that time of year again where I start freaking out about taxes and how to lower what I owe for next year. Every year we buy something new to try and keep our stuff all looking good and keep adding expenses. The problem is that I kind of ran out of things that we want and next year our chip truck will be paid off so we will loose that expense. The chip truck is still in great condition so I don't want to get another one. We are thinking about adding a roll off truck that can be used for hauling debris and used as a backup chip truck if need be. I think it would be a great versatile truck that could be bought for about the cost of a new chip truck. My question for you all is..... does anyone have one and what size truck chassis can haul one of those around? A quick google search makes it look like Ford 550 is the smallest but can they be put on a 350 or 450? We currently have a 550 as our chip truck and I don't want to go any bigger than that.

I don't know for certain but suspect you'll never find them on anything lighter than a 550 due to the weight of them and the limited or non-existent payload capacity it would leave. If you are considering something like this I'd not look any lighter than a 550 myself. I own three Ford f350's in each of the configurations reg cab, super cab, and crew cab and one f550 in reg cab and the 550 is hands down far superior for hauling weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm figuring that the 550 will be the lightest and I'm totally fine with that. I was just wondering what others have used or have seen. The other option is to get a roll off dump trailer and a 350 or 450 to haul it with.

Could you convert your current 550 to a roll off and then equip a 450 or 350 for chipping or however you'd like for the lighter truck. Then your heavy truck would be the one doing the heaviest job, the roll off.

I would give a hard look into a roustabout bed (oilfield). Does the same thing but doesn't require specially made dumpsters, you can build a simple skid. You can also add gin poles to lift stuff. And you get can one for a one ton. I'm building a skeleton one for my 3/4 ton, do I can switch between pipeline, trees, hauling water, and generic truck tasks. I started a thread on it, but then the wife got really pregnant and I had to stop. Was planning on building it now, but got called back to work. I'll be starting out again soon tho. Messed up thing is, you can probably get one built cheaper than they want for those mini rolloffs, and you could easily make it lighter, so you could haul more.

And your newer truck would become your daily use as you may not need a roll off on every job.
Good points and we have discussed that option too. I would love to know how much it costs to swap bodies like that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would give a hard look into a roustabout bed (oilfield). Does the same thing but doesn't require specially made dumpsters, you can build a simple skid. You can also add gin poles to lift stuff. And you get can one for a one ton. I'm building a skeleton one for my 3/4 ton, do I can switch between pipeline, trees, hauling water, and generic truck tasks. I started a thread on it, but then the wife got really pregnant and I had to stop. Was planning on building it now, but got called back to work. I'll be starting out again soon tho. Messed up thing is, you can probably get one built cheaper than they want for those mini rolloffs, and you could easily make it lighter, so you could haul more.
Heading to Google now...... Thanks for the suggestion.

A light roll off (Switch and Go is one) is cheaper than the option I chose but you may want to look at the upgraded performance of a hooklift. I have one in process and probably two weeks from initial completion now. Faster cycle time than a SwithNGo loaded as I understand it, and....

Stellar makes one that adds 1800 to 2000 pounds wet and can hoist up to 16,000.

I always wanted one on a 4900 IH when I had my landscaping business. Dump body, chip body, flatbed for equipment, etc.

Gee, sorry to hear that. That must be very frustrating. I recall your thread discussing chassis awhile back.

I forgive you for buying a dodge. :lol:

Hi all.....it's that time of year again where I start freaking out about taxes and how to lower what I owe for next year. Every year we buy something new to try and keep our stuff all looking good and keep adding expenses. The problem is that I kind of ran out of things that we want and next year our chip truck will be paid off so we will loose that expense. The chip truck is still in great condition so I don't want to get another one. We are thinking about adding a roll off truck that can be used for hauling debris and used as a backup chip truck if need be. I think it would be a great versatile truck that could be bought for about the cost of a new chip truck. My question for you all is..... does anyone have one and what size truck chassis can haul one of those around? A quick google search makes it look like Ford 550 is the smallest but can they be put on a 350 or 450? We currently have a 550 as our chip truck and I don't want to go any bigger than that.

To your original question Eric I just don't see a 350/450 having the load capacity to put a dump unit on let alone a roll off or hooklift. (Once a tree buisseness is more developed - like yours.)

New 350/450s - even pickups, aren't any cheaper than basic class 5 trucks that I can tell. Only savings with a lower rated truck is a bit on DMV fees. One job that a heavier hauler helped to get done quicker would offset that fee.

I have contacted Switch N Go and they will put the bodies on any one ton or bigger. I really like the size and capacity of our 550 so I'd probably stick with that size. I have not looked at how much weight we'd be able to haul with that set up but I'm guessing it would be sufficient.

If slow bothers you, check with people who have a switch n go for what it's like empty and loaded. Also I was told if I were to go that way pto is far more doable than electric.

For a tree guy swapping bodies once or twice a day at most the speed is not too much of a concern. It's the dumpster guys that swap a dozen or more times a day that need the speed. The electric works fine

Small hooklift. A couple of the companies I was considering offered that Pick-up size. For anyone doing outdoor motor sports or some such where that would work to carry your machine to your destination and then get it low to the ground to unload an added benefit is a bunch of under-lift storage that is fairly secure.

Back