Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accountants/ office people games

TreeHouser Sponsor

Default Accountants/ office people games

As a contractor i come across these people occasionally who seem to delight in throwing their weight around.

The latest is a customer really wanting us to do the job, tottally happy with the result, hapoy as a pig in shit we could schedule his job. but then the office people are actually resentful at simply paying us. Came in to their office to get paid, and i hear, 'wow, you guys make alot of money'! Then she says, oh i cannot issue a check until i have all your paperwork on file. W4, proof of insurance, signed contract, invoice in hand, etc etc.

These people piss me off

Rant rant rant

Anyone else get this?

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

That's why I always carry a pic of my backyard and all the shallow graves.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Bean counters...yep, once in awhile. Not yet in treework...my treework is for mostly private folks.

In our x-ray business with municipalities we have to jump thru all kind of hoops. Once it cost us an extra $100 on an insurance rider to be allowed to move x-ray eqpt. thru the lobby of a medical building. It was just a normal building full of doctor's offices...but managed by prima donna a-holes who thought their world was special.
    Gary

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

You should've stubbed your toe and sued them Gary.

Sounds like bs Fran's. If all that was agreed upon before the work was given the go ahead sure. Otherwise shut up and pay up.

yep, that can be annoying. When working for folks that you think might be a problem, don't hesitate to ask, what do you need in order for us to be paid. Like with a federal court house, just tell me how I am getting paid, by whom and what do they need to make that happen.

I love it when we work it the other way around, have a check on site before we start. Watch them dance!! oh, this and that...no, we will start when the check is there.
    I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone, it brought me life, it brought me love I never have out grown.

We've gotten proactive by sending out W-9's and Insurance Certificates along with the bid for commercial jobs.
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie

That's smart!
    I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone, it brought me life, it brought me love I never have out grown.

We do get the occasional foot dragger who insists on some obscure document before paying, like "Additional Named Insured."

And typically they wait until we've contacted them several times over several weeks to tell us about this missing paperwork.
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie

In all my years of doing tree work, I've had three companies insist on me adding them to my policy as 'additional insured'. No big deal except that costs me $100 and the insurance company just keeps adding them on every renewal without telling me. And of those three, none of them ever did more than $700 worth of business with me. After that I just refuse and consider it a sign that the potential client isn't worth the hassle. I also ignore any requests from management companies or realtors.
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerl2 View Post
    consider it a sign that the potential client isn't worth the hassle. I also ignore any requests from management companies or realtors.
    Yup, instantly vetting job inquiries that don't smell right is quick and vicious.

Frans, your custy, or at least the office folk, is douchey. Maybe contact your original contact and tell them the issues you are having with getting a prompt check?
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.