Buddy's Outdoor Thread/pictures

I've seen numerous cougars in the woods over the years. Never had one give me grief.

I went to school with a guy who had been attacked by a cougar, and had the scar on his back to prove it too. His dad was with him and beat it off him with a stick. He tried to climb a tree to get away? He was a good friend of mines younger brother and never was that bright. Lol.

Just think of your house cat. I'd have that cougar purring in my lap in no time. :D

Kitty, kitty.

We had a mountain lion sighting at work. I was up a tree. My groundie saw it on a rural property.

About 10 years ago, there was one in the Safeway grocery store parking lot, next to a large forested wetland.

I've seen them three times I can recall vividly. Twice on Vancouver Island and once in the interior here. They were pretty cool.

Twice I got to observe them for quite awhile both the times on the island. One was down drinking out of a creek and didn't seem to notice us at all until the fool I was with started chucking rocks at it. We had walked out of a block and a crummy was coming to get us before to to long but still we had nothing with us besides rocks and sticks. I remember telling that guy if he didn't stop immediately that if it came for us I was pushing him down into the dirt and high tailing it. And I remember being quite serious about it. Lol. The cat just looked us over continued drinking from the stream for a minute and wandered off away from us.

I remember being shocked at the stupidity. We were in that cats domain and everything was chill. Why antagonize? I was enjoying checking it out, a rare opportunity.

It was within rock throwing distance, so you get an idea of how fast that cat could've covered that ground if it felt inclined to.

I know - it's a repost

So sue me! :P

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/noIJyY2KxRA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That cat was pretty fast!

Never been scared of an animal.
People,however, are a different matter.

I was wilderness camping in the Judean desert once, right next to a big Hyrax colony.
At night a leopard decided it was time for a Hyrax snack.
I've never heard such a racket in my life. Whole colony was screaming.

Didn't feel threatened, though. I'm not a Hyrax.

Seen lots of bear close up, never had a problem with the black and brown varieties..
The white ones we have in the " north part" of Denmark does see man as prey.
Carrying a gun is a good thing, when hiking around those.

If you want a bear to be scared of, Butch. Polar bear is your choice.

For the gun interested people; the gun of choice up there is the Mauser K 98.
Supposed to handle the extreme cold better than any other and that 8 mm bullet is plenty big enough for polar bear.

Throwing rocks at an apex predator is about the dumbest thing I've heard of in awhile lol

Unless they be REALLY big rocks.
Bout 400 pds ought to do it.

Turn up the volume

Listen how the screams increase in pitch...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X0AHvPpGrDU?start=155" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He was the Hyrax that night.

I think the statistic for being eaten by a bear is on par with being hit by a meteor.
Do you carry a meteor shelter with you whenever you go outside?

Got to love the TreeHouse travelogue...people posting pictures of places many of us will never see in person, Thanks :)

I think that's an unfair analogy... There is nothing you can do to increase the odds of getting smoked by a meteor, but throwing rocks at an animal like that definitely bumps your odds. Same with lightning, the statistics are really small, but if you go golfing or work during storms you greatly increase the odds.

Very cool bear and cougar stories, Buddy and Squish. Wish I'da been there.

Afaik, seeing cougars in the wild without using a dog pack is exceedingly rare. Vancouver isle though, that's the place.

The other close encounter I had was travelling into a spot were we parked for camp. We called it the artlish, so I googled it and sure enough that's what it's called, that area. If you follow the link I've swam in those caves and in some other cool caves in the area too. Some might recall me years ago telling some stories about swimming into some underwater caves in this area.
We parked in a big parking lot at the end of a long bush road where we took boats into camp.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=the+...s/artlish_caves/artlish_cv.jpg&viewerState=ga

Anyways. I was rolling along in my 79 blazer full time 4x4 removeable hardtop. Lol. And I come whipping around a corner and there is a giant ass cougar. Huge looking. It goes off the road and up through the salal and onto a little rock outcropping and stops. So I stop and we just look at each other for a minute and then I slid out of my window and onto the roof of my blazer and stood up and looked over at that cat. It was a intense moment and the feeling of its sizing me up and it's fearlessness slowly crept into me as it dawned on me that it could probably have nearly made a leap for me from where it was perched. I retreated to the relative safety of the cab and got to watch it for a good little bit before it disappeared into the brush.

That was my other close encounter, closest and most intense and to this day stands out in my mind as a huge cougar and I'd seen a number of mounted ones and pics too.

Wow, very cool.

I know what you mean about the fearless vibe a creature can put out. I got that vibe when I was snorkeling in the caribbean from barracuda. He caused me no problem at all but he exuded an air of casual, total confidence and badassness. He was a gangster and was going to do whatever the heck he felt like.

I wonder what he'd do if you'd whupped it out and took a piss while looking at him?

I did that to a coyote once, at the dump.

Not quite a cougar...

Homeless fellow here supposedly got attacked last night by a mountain lion. The dog stepped to to save the fellow and ended up getting killed instead.

Terri told me about this morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a good dog.

I made a trip over on the other side of the divide yesterday to catch up on some trail work. I watched a golden eagle drop a baby mountain goat. It had been mostly eaten and was probably killed by the eagle. They will knock them off the rocks to kill them then they have a nice tender snack. We are having abnormally warm weather this winter with very little snow. It has been nice to be able to get out and do some hiking so early in the year.

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Back on track! Stellar pictures Shawn. I'm really enjoying seeing them, but they sure are making me yearn for springtime.

Back