Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clearing lots for builders.

Default Clearing lots for builders.

I figure people have some good collective experience with clearing a lot for a builder in a neighborhood.

I've heard builders can be the worst to work for. Surely a mixed bag.

The bid I have is for a guy who says he's been building for 30 years. He's building the homes in the subdivision and needs a big mess made, for his guys to clean up.

He's got a mini-x onsite that he can use to move some stuff, mutually beneficial, but will be mostly just building, not hanging around us. 10 minutes now and again, maybe for mini-x operation.

One maple is broken badly and laying on top/ bending other maples.
    One maple is cracked up one leader, but its the smaller of the two-codominants.
    There are houses where you see driveways.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...4d-122.8748252

Decent amount of space, with the neighbors having a couple trees right over the property line. Some utilities near the little parking pull-out. Mostly forest trees without development.
    I would probably try to rip the big maple top off, but its kind of a CF, and might lodge into other maples too hard to break off. j

I'll post pics later.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

I worked for a number of builders and always found it a easy go. Usually made off like a bandit it seemed. Easy or no cleanup at times, or spraying the chips around on sight or in a pile, whatever. No raking usually. Wide open lot/spaces. Tear sh-t up ruthlessly with machinery/trucks. What's not to like?

I think the problem was getting paid.

I like the above mentioned stuff.

This has street trees and neighbors, but not like over a greenhouse or anything.
    The badly cracked maple is the only x factor. I can bang/ pull a number over.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Gotta get paid. That's for certain!

I've had mixed results with builders over the years. A few were good about paying quickly and consistently. Most were slow to pay and some never paid at all. Get some references from other contractors who have previously worked for the builder in question.
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180131_164207729.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	84260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180131_164212812.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	84261

Ugly mess of maple. Fall them selectively from safety perspective, stay on the ground, let the crap hit wherever it must...it's a building lot fer craps sake .
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

There is a good sized maple on the left, out of view, along with a small and medium cedar.

In the picture, the co-dominant maple has a big crack in the right leader, with the head going toward the neighboring lot (someone's backyard, with a few small trees along the property line, young neighborhood being built). Might have to climb it to strap the leader together then fell from the ground, not a big deal.

Small/ medium conifers in the back.

The cracked maple is bending over the adjacent maple on the right a bit, and the right-most maple is bent a lot. The split is still holding on since a spring storm, but not by much. There's a big hemlock behind it as a high TIP, to come down to the break and either attach the top of the trunk to the bottom of the top (half the leader) with some heavy rope, then notch, back-cut and high pull-point...
    or
    tie onto the maple top directly and pull it hard, trying to rip it off, and out of the other trunks.
    I'm thinking that the weight of the spar would help pull the top free, if the trunk is connected to the top.

A 36" cedar on the right. House to the right, just out of view.

How do you find contractor pricing compared to residential, for the same Crash and Dash?

I really enjoy site clearance jobs,its what I have geared my company towards in the recent past.

IF you are uncertain about getting paid,ask for half up front or walk away.

I am on a five week clearance job now,the terms are certain and written down.Paid every two weeks and we do something else untill the money comes through.That way you keep your domestic clients happy and should the company be a bad payer the loss is minimized and you posess a legal doccument with which to persue the payment.
    sixtey percent of the time,it works every time!