Spiderjack 3

TreeRhino

TreeHouser
So I ended up with a Spiderjack 3 and have started playing around with it and am running in to an issue that almost makes it unusable and i wonder if I'm missing something.

The problem is descent. this thing is either 100mph or nothing. i can't seem to get much in between the two. I adjusted the brake in and that seems to help some, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has spent some time with this thing and if you have any tips on how to better feather the descent.

I'm currently using an 11.7 mm rope and I'm wondering if going to a smaller cam would help.

Thanks!

Brother... Try not to get frustrated with any of the michanical gizmos. In my humble experience, they ALL entail a pretty huge learning curve. Never tried the spidey 3, but (maybe the 2) for me it was really counter-intuitive to grab the big black lever while simultaneously letting out on the little, wooden "clutch," in order to go down. Of all the gizmos... I'd say the zig-zag is the most natural for trad-climbers, to use; and I'd say that the rope-runner is the best one.

But, again... don't think I've tried the spidey 3. Just be patient. My gut tells me that you'll grow to really love that thing.

In my limited in-tree experience with the Spiders et al...I always ended up using a brake hand in conjunction with the descent control hand on the ball. That made it reliably usable, but at times frustrating, having to work with both hands for good control.

A thicker climb line, maybe?

I've been using a Spiderjack 2 for about 3 years now. When I was getting used to it I would always push the wooden brake on tight with my thumb before pressing down on the release lever. As long as you have the right cam in it ( the rope diameters are marked on the cams), then the brake should hold you steady on the rope with the release lever fully released. Then you can control the speed of the descent with the wooden brake. Once you get used to the hand action it becomes quite natural and smooth. It just takes a bit of practice and obviously it's a good idea to go low and slow at first. With a good pulley saver I've found it a really good labour saving device, if I go back to the old hitch climber for any reason I feel noticeably tired in the shoulders at the end of the day. The other thing I would say is that the better you get with the brake, the longer the cams will last.
Hope that helps a bit.

I've climbed on the 2 a few times and never could feel all that comfortable on it. That big lever is just asking to get bumped and unexpectedly drop you a little.

All or nothing descents have been a plague for mechanical devices for a long time. My advice for a SpiderJack is to have lots of finesse and thumb strength!

Never tried the spider jack but I have a buddy that loves his. I will see what he had to say about dialing it in and the learning curve. I bought the HH2 and a zig zag at the same time and was happy with both so never tried the spider. I have climbed rope runner a few times because one of my old climbers had one and raves about it. I liked it but didn’t see the need to buy one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the responses. I have adjusted the brake in a good deal and changed ropes. Both of which helped, but it was a different rope that made the biggest difference. I was using an 11.7 that really flattened out in the cam. Switched to a 12.5 that is much better at staying round and it really helped. and, as you all said, the more i use it, the better control i have.

I have been a Zig-Zag climber for a while and it really is a great device. Got the SJ3 to test and it certainly tails rope cleaner than the ZZ, but the learning curve is quite steep. So, pros and cons.

Yeah... it kinda sucks to use out laterally (when yer limbwalkin) also. Up in the PNW the clutches also wear out super fast from climbing in snotty conditions. Might not be an issue in Austin. :rockon:

Great result! That's what comes from hangin' at the 'House...:)

I haven?t spent any time with the SJ3 yet. I was opposed to the 2 because it couldn?t be installed midline, and since I use spliced eyes, that meant I had to pull all of my rope through from the unspoiled end before I could use it. Did they fix that with the 3?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope. But honestly, its not a big deal. rope falls through it so easily that just leaving it on the rope is fine.

Back