Stolen...truck and 103hp Rayco, Aberdeen,WA

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Got a call from the owner, reaching out locally.

F250 and 15 Y.O. Grinder. Gone a week or so.

Cops said they will likely hold on a bit, then reach out to tree companies.

Heads up.

Jeez, how do you even sell a stolen work truck and stump grinder?!? I mean, with no title or registration, and the license plate # tagged as stolen by the police, nobody would ever buy it. Seems like an awful risk to run stealing a vehicle with so little chance or getting any money out of it. But perhaps theives just aren’t as smart as me.

What do they care if they can sell the truck? Parts, a grinder, a trailer presumably?

They're thieves. Theives steal vehicles all the time.

Thievery is terrible and stealing work tools/equipment is about the worst. Lowest of the low when it comes to stealing.

I see so many lowlifes out and about when I'm plowing. I ride the fine line between being standoffish enough to not get bothered for things yet not being a outright asshole and bringing conflict with someone who has nothing or very little to lose. Hard drugs man they aren't doing anyone any favours.

You got that right!
I like the phrase "never own up to everything you know" keep them in the dark.

Sucker is in Mexico already.

Here it would be in Eastern Europe.

When my chipper got stolen, I asked the manufacturer to let me know if anybody called and wanted a set of keys made for that model.
They told me to forget about it, it would already have migrated east.
Told me they sold parts to countries where they haven't sold a single chipper.

I'm still hoping they'll steal the new one.
It has an extremely well hidden GPS tracker, so they'll be in a heap of shit when I track them down.

Here it would be in Eastern Europe.

When my chipper got stolen, I asked the manufacturer to let me know if anybody called and wanted a set of keys made for that model.
They told me to forget about it, it would already have migrated east.
Told me they sold parts to countries where they haven't sold a single chipper.

I'm still hoping they'll steal the new one.
It has an extremely well hidden GPS tracker, so they'll be in a heap of shit when I track them down.

I was told the same thing when my nearly new Morbark 15 was stolen many years ago in Tampa, Florida. The police told me it would go straight to Central or South America. It turned up nearly 4 years later... in Tampa, Florida. Morbark notified me when someone called to get parts for it. I called the police, who impounded it immediately. However, no charges were filed since it was just weeks until the statute of limitations ran out. The insurance company wasn't interested either. Who says crime doesn't pay?

Damn, Mellow.

Good thread, Sean. Let's hope some bad guys get lit up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stig, I thought of you when the owner said about getting GPS Trackers.

He said that a tracker identifying something stolen on someone's property can get a search warrant in most jurisdictions, according to a police officer he's been dealing with.

I hope the hidden power of lurkers helps the guy more than I'd guess one of us regulars.

The owner said sometimes people sell the big diesel engine and parts out of a machine, but more likely tweekers or conceivably a competitor.

Hey on a related note: a friend of mine has all his trucks and equipment fully lettered up with name, phone #, and town, etc. He told me a long time ago it's more for anti theft than marketing.

Well, a few months ago, a gentleman walked in to my friend's garage and under cover of broad daylight, jumped into a sweet late model mason-body and drove it away. Basically miraculous he wasn't seen doing it. More than a week went by with no trace of the truck until someone called the cops in a town 30 miles away and reported this truck had been parked incongruously on a random street for several days. The lettering from out of town made the caller wonder what was up . Cops staked out the truck unsuccessfully and my friend got it back unscathed about 2 weeks after the theft. All thanks to truck lettering.

It happens all to often in the UK. Companies getting done over left, right and centre. A few years ago 3 of the biggest firms in the area I worked got done on the same night. A windy night covers a lot of sounds.

Hope the thieves get what's coming to them.

Yeah.

I have lost a Chipper,all the saw's and an attempted theft on a mini excavator as well as an attempted break in at my House when I was home.

All in the crime free Scandinavia.

Mostly its Eastern Europeans,Gypsies of the English,Irish or Romainian variety.

Do you reckon they followed you home Mike or had looked you up and targeted your yard?

Pity your cannon wasn't up and running at that time...

Can't imagine them coming back if that thing went off mid robbery, blowing their Pajero to kingdom come.

He said that a tracker identifying something stolen on someone's property can get a search warrant in most jurisdictions, according to a police officer he's been dealing with.

Who does the actual "tracking"? Is it a function you can access with a smartphone, or does the company track for you? If I knew something stolen from me was on someone's property, a warrant wouldn't be high on my list of priorities.

I just call up and get a GPS position for my chipper.
If it is not the home position, it is stolen.
Then I get the guys together and we go beat the living shit out of a couple of Latvians/ Lithuanians/ Polish guys/whatever.

The good thing about that is, they don't call the cops when they've been beaten on. They just crawl back into their hole and wait to heal up.

I'm still hoping for the guys who stole my chipper to do it again.

Theft of machinery is rife around here at certain times of the year. Strangely it always seems to coincide with the traveller/gypsy fairs locally. The junky scum are a constant plague, but easier to find afterwards- throw a bit of cash about & push the right people & we usually find out who it was.

Back