https://www.bend-rightrings.com/ Anyone try these?

I've been eyeing them. Honestly I haven't had any issues with doubling up x-rings but I do see this being an improvement.

I had always thought no matter how many x rings you line up, the bend radius is the same on the corners as having just one anyways.

They look neat, i still dont have any rings. 10 years so far and ive never wished for more than my two CMI 5/8" Arborist Pulley.

Strap on the toys boys!

I agree with Brendon. I spent a lot of money on a lot of gadgets that were cool as hell and didn't save me a single minute of time and didn't make my job any easier. But I had all the cool toys! I've gone full circle and back to just the basics these days. Of course I still have a ton of gear on the trucks and once in a while I might actually use some of it, but most of the time it just collects dust.

I have a couple of these coming next week on ultra slings, looking forward to seeing them... I only got into rings in the past 6 months, now I can't do without! I was trained on natural crotch rigging, and that's still what I love, but rings open up so many other options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rig and Ring is a good time saver over a block, as it's installable and retrievable from the ground, and cheaper, lighter, and more streamlined.

I'll natural-crotch-rig more than anything else though.

I've seen a video where a guy uses 3 rings on an adjustable sling and the middle ring is a bit higher than the outside 2 rings. It makes a very nice bend radius. I'll see if I can find it.

Got this rigging ring/topping strop from honey Brothers late last year.

Nice and light, love it.

Attachments

• DA3FEC62-EECB-4286-8A70-2A2E6A5D4882.jpg
    DA3FEC62-EECB-4286-8A70-2A2E6A5D4882.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 60
It still doesn't change the bend radius. Think of it like a rope going over a box, the middle dimension means nothing if the sides are sharp enough. Obviously they don't have a corner on them, but the bending radius will always be the same, because the outer two surfaces are changing the direction. They still are super handy, I just never saw what the point was with the stacked ones, because the radius is the same as one.

That's one of many things which amazes me that many people don't want to understand and we find these misconceptions again and again.
Stacking 2 or 3 rings only divides the bend of the rope in 2 or 3 parts, separated by straight segment(s). But it's always the same bend.
It's even worse than one ring for the rope because the fibers slide against each others 4 or 6 time instead of 2. The rope actually alternates bending and straightening, so the internal wear increases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
BMS Belay Spools and TS AFBs are the same. People don't want to see it that way, but its that way.

I like my BMS BS, BTW. Can't be much, if any, harder on the rope than a munter hitch (bend radius of a carabiner is very small). Rig appropriately.

For everyday rigging and loads, i think bend radius means jack. Like the fishpole technique, it was an issue created to sell a product to guys who hang way to much off their saddle in the first place. IMO of course.

The problem that I have with them (rigging rings in general) is the fact that it's marketed as a rope friendly improvement over a block. They have videos dropping 3000 pound chunks on them, and say this is good for the rope. First off, if it adds enough friction to actually hold a majority of the load, it is pounding the end of the rope. That's why blocks started to be used in the first place, to spread the force over a larger area. Secondly, dropping that kind of weight on that bend radius is lessening the lifespan of said rope, because the rope isn't loaded evenly. Is it as bad as wire rope, no, but saying that rigging with a block is wrong and this "new" way is right is complete utter bullshit. Thirdly, selling the idea like it's something new is ridiculous, because it's a fairlead, that's all. Their use goes back millennia on sailing vessels. The actual rings used are cool, and weren't being used in treework on a large scale, but they were always there. And I still can't wrap my head around using aluminum for rigging. I know it dissipates heat better, but how much heat is generated in normal rigging? My steel portawrap does fine, so why does something that generates way less friction need to be aluminum? Other than to wear out faster, I can't see the point

For everyday rigging and loads, i think bend radius means jack. Like the fishpole technique, it was an issue created to sell a product to guys who hang way to much off their saddle in the first place. IMO of course.

Agreed, is bend radius really such an issue?

Back