My "New" F350 Dump Truck

chris_girard

Treehouser
Recently picked up this older 1988 F350 dump truck that is in great condition. One owner, 72k original miles, never used for plowing. The engine is a 460 CID, 7.5 Liter gas motor. Needs new tires, muffler and front brakes, but I got it for $3,500- plus the old timer gave me a second F350 parts truck with a plow and dump body for $500- Couldn't pass up the deal.

The truck can pull a load like there is no tomorrow, but sucks down the fuel, the way a drunk sucks down the booze at an open bar!

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 56
Years ago I had a 1978 F250 with the 460. It would pass anything but a gas station. That one looks to be in nice shape, shiny. :)

I have a 1984 f350 with a 351,she sucks up the gas also.

I'm guessing it has a carb,not fuel injection.
I love the older fords.
I bet it has a pto driven dump.that thing will dump anything it will hold.

I have a 1984 f350 with a 351,she sucks up the gas also.

I'm guessing it has a carb,not fuel injection.
I love the older fords.
I bet it has a pto driven dump.that thing will dump anything it will hold.

I think 1987 is when they went to fuel injection in the Ford trucks. My 1988 F150 was a fuel injected 302, second year of that technology and it couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's ass. It took a couple years for them to get the power back up to carbureted levels.

Looks clean Chris, nice find! Something paid for and making money, and will do so for a long time to come :rockon:

I had a '68 International dump for my landscaping business. 6 mpg, but it was paid for. If it was running, somebody was going to get a bill. I didn't worry about the cost of fuel. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I am noticing though that I am having problems dumping loads. The truck came from the factory with a Chelsea PTO mounted inside the cab floor by the shifter (the truck is a 5-speed standard). Truck needs to be in neutral with the red PTO knob pulled out to engage it. After it warms up, there is a black knot that you pull up on (which is extremely hard to do) and this is supposed to raise the dump body. Even when I rev up the motor and the loads are light though, it is having a hard time?

Any of you truck guys out there have any clues why this would be? Maybe I need new PTO cables and new hydraulic fluid?

For sure check the fluid level and condition, there should be a box of fluid under there somewhere with a fill and drain port on it. And then check that the linkages from the knobs are working/adjusted and lubed properly.

Back