Best Lift????

Im thinking sd64 late spring. Hopefully can contribute to carls stock fever.

I had the truck, loved using it when i actually did. I just didnt care for driving it, and was always affraid of lawn and driveway damage. Id find reasons not to use it, so off it went. The whole registration, inspection, truck police, kept me from enjoying it.

They sure are handy tho, and with how i setup my micro setup, a mobile lift could be a game changer for me.

The sd seems stout, some just look so cheasy. The tuepen i ran was scary, he has a omme? now. Im amazed how much thsy thing sways in wind.

I don't like how the hydraulic cylinders are located on the top of the outriggers. Fine for window washers but a terrible design for tree work.

For what they cost you would think they would have a sheet metal guard over them or something at least... I know the genie tow behinds use a guard there.

Even if you were painting with it stuff would eventually hit the cylinders...But also true on that.

Seems like a cribbing thread could hold its own.

I'm curious how people manage slopes.

When I ran a bucket, the manual said no more than 5 degree slopes, IIRC. The lift was spec'd for 2 outriggers, but it was built with 4. Versa-lift. We set up level, but the flat metal outriggers were right on asphalt. Do outrigger pads give better traction?

We were mostly on flat enough ground but ran into some wet, sloping pavement on occasion.

How steep of a slope is spec'd by different manufacturers?

Outrigger pads do give better traction, but ideally the foot is cribbed level first. I also think that certain (most) outriggers actually specify pads 3x the area of the outrigger foot on dirt.

Pads provide an increased surface area so (in that light), it DOES provide additional traction... but not traction as I define it.

If the pad had something along the lines of spikes or a super rough surface, then YES, it does provide traction.

I have been meaning to chime in on this thread. We purchased the CMC 83 last January and the simple judgement on it so far would be there is no going back to a life without it. I have climbed maybe a half dozen times since we have had it. We have to have the ability to access into backyard. We live in suburbia and everyone has a fence. If we were not restricted by this, then I would have most likely gone with the Carl and the Nifty. Having said that, the extra vertical reach on the CMC is nice on big trees. The ability to adjust the tracks and setup in some crazy scenarios is awesome. The hydraulic functions are extremely smooth and it feels very stable.

What scares me the most with this machine is the cost of a major breakdown. Not just the direct cost of the repair, but the opportunity cost of it not working. During most of this last year, it is being used 3-4 days a week and it pumps out work. It makes the hard dangerous tree in the back yard a normal and easy day. The dead tree in the backyard that should not be climbed, the one your competition doubles their bid because they really do not want the job, well those become easy income. We use it so much that I feel like we need a second one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Currently looking for Equipment space...

Here's another truck that parks near me...

Butch, I haven't been tagged ever since i left a tiny TAG unpainted on my truck... like 12 x 12 inches... seems to keep the windshield clean.
caca4ef32202dc5c508bf240a521c8ad.jpg
2928f8b7654a15cf141d7044fb2d8837.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I dont think many people realize just how tight san fransisco is. Steep streets, often with big trees captivated in tiny backyards. Zero access. In surburban housing developments at least you have a 3' pathway to the backhard. In s.f? No.

Yup! You have to visit to understand it. Or grow up around it or live there. Some of those streets are beyond steep. They laugh at 8% grades.
I bet people blow equipment motors from oil starvation on some of them.

Years ago i drove my stump grinder through a house in s.f. Had to put a long hose on the exhaust to get through the front hallway, livingroom, kitchen in the back then stairs down to the backyard. Sheesh wadda circus!

I dont think many people realize just how tight san fransisco is. Steep streets, often with big trees captivated in tiny backyards. Zero access. In surburban housing developments at least you have a 3' pathway to the backhard. In s.f? No.

That is crazy. Sounds like Brooklyn but with steepness added.

So after all that what do you get for a stump like that, 2 grand?

Good question

Uhhhh, dont remember. Eighteen or so years ago. Prob about 500 would be my guess

Back