Best Lift????

Bodean

Cali dreamer
What's the best spider lift....?

Looking for something that I can do street trees and tight access. 70' height.

Ive read about 7 threads on TB and AS with the comparisons.

Just want and Frank info if anyone has any experience...

Thank you in advance....

Happy new year... :)

Hit up Jon (treesnsurf), he’s got one and is always knowledgeable on equipment. Other than that, no experience here, but good luck. Those things look primo for city work.

70' in one of those miniature things is just too sketchy IMO. Good luck in your quest but I'd recommend a full size bucket truck, preferably an Altec.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks i was going to hit up JP.

I agreee... Brian.

I saw one over 100'.... ridiculous.
But... I want the best of both worlds.
And really don't want another truck with a plate that deals with DMV.

I saw one drive through. House and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Also the lift can go on the small foot paths etc.

I've read up on jlg nifty lift cmc teupen and some other one.

Deva

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nifty Lift SD-64!!! I've owned bucket trucks for over 25 years and this Nifty Lift is beyond comparison for residential tree work. I will never buy another bucket truck. Working height is 70 feet on a platform that is smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable.
I also have a Teupen LEO 15GT but I hardly ever use that; maybe once a month or so. Mine's been good but I hear through the grapevine that many of the Teupens are plagued with computer problems. The Teupen is great for small back yards; it's only 30" wide so it will fit through most back yard gates but the working height is only 50 feet with limited side reach.

Ah ha.. info..

I've read the best reviews on the nifty lift sd64... also Carl is involved with them... which means something.

My old boss Evan bought a teupen i n 2002... it was awesome... loaded on a trailer, thin.great access...etc. we ran into many computer/sensor issues the first few months. We ended up getting rid of it.

I've been watching the window guys use them inside buildings. Other jobs...?

I like the idea of maybe a smaller one like the one you mentioned....also smaller storage footprint...this won't be parked on the street and may need to put it in a storage bodega place.

Are telescoping booms standard?

There must be 10 companies making spider lifts...

Looking at the tracked nifty lift... is there one bigger than 40'?

Edit... just saw the 50... nice.

I need the thin access... 6000 lbs is serious for thin DG foot paths and that Poly Rock they use....

Carl is THE MAN if you decide to get a Nifty Lift. The few issues that I've had, he was right on top of it to get sorted out.

We do a lot of elevating (canopy raising or whatever you might call it in your neck of the woods). With a bucket truck, we always had to set up beyond the drip line in order to raise the booms and it was difficult to reach up under the canopy. The SD64 has an elevating platform along with a telescoping boom and a jib so we can set up right under the tree without worrying about having enough clearance to raise the booms. The turf tires and light weight also means we no longer have to carry 20 sheets of plywood on the truck if we need to drive on someone's lawn.

How is a setup on a wet hill on the street?
Like a San Francisco hilly street....

So far, I like the way the Teupen 18GT looks at 55' @ 5000 lbs.

IDK how you most situation is. Might want to scrub the outrigger pad placement before dunnage. Maybe Jay's sandbag methods.

I like the sandbag idea.

This will be a learning experience.

Need to be able to access sketchy over extended stuff and really detail the boutique fine pruning... the kinda things that are tough to do from in the tree.

I probably wouldn't go much more than 50' in height, I dunno. I'd have to fly one for myself to make any type of real decision.

I have used the Teupen Leo23GT alot,for a narrow access machine it's incredibly versatile in height and reach. As others said it was plagued with electrical gremlins. I think if I were to buy one I would want a Teupen engineer reasonably close, the owner of the one I used did.
It did develop a fault in the wiring loom that could only be fixed in the factory, that involved it going for a holiday too Germany and a ?10k bill!!!

I asked JP and he suggested this platform track arborist edition....

The video is rad.

Yes, Tim... I'm leary of Teupen...
Great when its someone else's machine.

:)
9e8bc68e6d24dff25d55926261eff35a.jpg

No it's a thing but I have only read about it here tho. If Jay were still around he has a lot of experience with sand bags I think he turned Paul on to them IIRC.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not a good way, because if anything happens to the sandbag you are toast. Building a slide crib is the proper way. Quick, easy, adjustable, cheap, durable, and won't fail. I'll see if I can find a pic.

i can see how a bag could rupture.

Some Japanese sometimes don't like to spur trees they're removing, as it disrespectful, apparently from Jay's anecdotes. They do weird things over there, including sandbag plus wood cribbing.

I suspect pics are in the Paul's/ PCTree's Grove crane thread.

It's one of those things like always climbing with a helmet, or wearing chainsaw pants, or tying in twice before cutting. You can probably, depending on the load, get away with a couple sandbags here and there, but the consequences of failure are just too great. I can't possibly see using them with a crane tho, the loads are massive and sandbags aren't designed to any strength. I could see how they could be used on small depressions under cribbing to even out the ground for even pressure, but using them to level up an outrigger scares me to death. While a box crib would be ok for a small lift, I'm not sure that even that is enough for a crane. You would need to do a completely filled one to do a crane, or even much larger timbers depending on the load.

12976242_1594982070819755_1311217240_n.jpg

On the left side is what's known as a slide crib. The cross ways timber can be slid back and forth slightly to level out the layer, which would then be filled solid. If more height is needed, you can stack two and then one on top, forming a triangle. If even more height is needed, you can go cross ways again, and then build another triangle, the final layer is always solid, and cribbing for a crane every layer should be solid

Back