Best Lift????

That's a pic I found online, that's not me, but it shows proper cribbing. I've done some extensive cribbing though.

I posted my "cribbing stuff" about Paul's Grove in a different thread (about old blocks, derricks or some such)...this shat is ALL running together for me...damn!

Didn't Carl stop selling those?

Nah, I still sell Nifties, for now at least.

My opinion is a year old at least, but I agree with the Tracked Lifts 72’ spider. I thought that’s what I was going to get back in 2015 before I did a comparison to an SD64. At that point I had never actually looked at an SD64 in person, thought a spider was the obvious choice.

IMO, for a 70’ Lift, unless you need narrow access (Tracked Lift’s spider) or dielectric (bucket truck) the SD64 is the best lift for usual tree work. Deva needs narrow access, so Tracked Lift’s spider is the answer.

I personally would avoid CMC, Cormidi, Blue Lift, and maybe someone else I haven’t thought of yet. The JLG spider looks impressive, but the price was something like 60-70% higher than the Tracked Lift.

I haven’t checked in about a year, but the Tracked Lift should be around $90k, give or take $5k.

The SD64 in early 2015 was $4-5k more than the Tracked Lifts 72'er, but $5k on two different machines doesn't really matter. $5k difference on the same machine (say two dealers for the same product) would be more of a factor (in dealer selection, not product selection).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you, Carl.

Great perspective and thoughts.
I appreciate it.

That cribbing picture 09 put up is amazing. That's in San Francisco... you can tell from the wall on the house and the street and the Biggee company is local... Sheedy is another big co around here...

So yeah...set up a spider on that and get silly with a ficus in the rain.

Access is paramount here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The SD64 is THE BEST tree work tool I have ever purchased. Hey Carl, did my friend Jerry buy one from you?

Hmm, not that I recall... don't see him in my accounting software either. That being said, I'm having a hard time placing you based on your screen name and Florida?

Thank you, Carl.

Great perspective and thoughts.
I appreciate it.

That cribbing picture 09 put up is amazing. That's in San Francisco... you can tell from the wall on the house and the street and the Biggee company is local... Sheedy is another big co around here...

So yeah...set up a spider on that and get silly with a ficus in the rain.

Access is paramount here.

Cribbing on a swinging outrigger (vs out and down) is/can be more complicated due to the outrigger moving in and out from the machine through its range of motion.

Spiders usually have exceptional ability to level themselves out without rigging. One thing to consider/remember/think about is the friction between your outrigger pad and the supporting surface.... you're setting up on a 20* slope of dense asphalt (fairly smooth) and your outrigger pads are hard, slick plastic... You could go slip sliding away.

Omni lift (spelling?) is what greg good has. I got to play with it the last time i visited with him. Seems very well made but expensive

Also 90' working height, not 70'. Omme makes shorter lifts, but the 90' is "the" lift they're famous in the tree industry for. 52' of side reach, but only with 176lb in the basket.

I thought so, but I didn't see anything in your recent posts to tip me off! I talked to Jerry, he decided to buy a stump grinder and said he'd buy an SD64 in a few months... we'll see what happens.

Seriously.

I'd be sketched on the friction co efficient...

Plastic foot pads on street is a bad combo.
Not something I would risk either...scared enough of lifts.

I might anchor it uphill with a chain to something solid, to give me a bit more piece of mind, before flying.

FWIW...I've used the Nifty Lift track drive spider, but only the 40' one. The next available size up is another two tonnes heavier, so I can't tow it on the trailer with my ute.
If I could, I would use the taller one...but I'd have to get a bigger truck too. The SD64 would be the bee's knees, but again would have to add a trailer and bigger truck...soooo
Am going to invest in an electric polesaw to give me a bit more reach.

Really IMO get the tallest lift you can efficiently move with the trucks you have.
I've looked at a few bucket trucks too, but to get the height and manouverability I need, the truck they are mounted on is way to big to access the sites!

Like you, Fi. Access is everything.

Do you have a lot of space to park equipment?

I'm starting to have to have to look for a commercial space.... loft/lot/house...to park stuff off the street.

The latest truck to park huddled up to mine.

All is good.
c86b335300fd40442c836341a52327c0.jpg

Deva...you absolutely must get secure storage arranged, inside. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I'd go insane if I were in your situation, re some of my prime business assets out in the open.

I forget who makes it but there is a spider lift and F550 combo out there. The lift is on the truck so when you have access it's a bucket truck and when there is no access you just drive off the spider.

Back