Ice cutting?

It could become a crazy new winter sport... attach seats and see who could make the most laps in 3 minutes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who me? I plan on using veggie oil just incase. Keep the greenies happy and lesson wear and tear, possibly.

I am inclined to say "no wear" the oilers are pretty basic. I asked that every same question at Bailey's back when I bought my Lewis winch and they said not to worry about it. And this was before the old man passed and the staff really knew their stuff.

Well now, that's a good point. We ran a Lewis with a 056, never with bar oil in it. But we never tried to swap back and forth to a bar and chain from the winch. So I still don't actually know. But I'd be inclined to believe Bailey's.

I had a hedge clipping attachment for the MS026 way back in the day.
No oil for that one either.

Well the ice was cut yesterday and all turned out well and good after running the prop of the motor into a rock crib pile for a pier but that wasn't my call. It was 60' in diameter.

I didn't take any but I am sure it's on youtube by now. Every damn member took at least one picture and there was a drone even.
They really didn't do anything special like lights just a burn barrel in the middle of a large spinning disc of ice. I saw some footage on FB last night.

Agreed… says this not so old man.

A lot of work for a spinning disc of ice.

Bad ass worth an ice up air filter, gallon of veggie oil, about a gallon saw mix, and four hours of my life i'll never get back. But I did land two sizable jobs out of it and the word of mouth exposure to the lake crowd may have off set the BS.

Sounds like a trial run... Next year they will probably do more than a fire in the middle, which pretty much looks stationary while rotating.

Lots of lights would be cool.

I am sure there is already talk of next years bigger and better. Lots of chiefs not enough indians (feathers not dots) but I guess in this case a dot is what was needed. :lol: Sooo maybe I'll just pull rank next year and be the chief it should go much smoother.

How wide of a kerf develops in ice? Similar to wood, or larger?

How dead-on accurate did you need to be? Did you simply trim out any sticking spots?

I'm missing the concept. How did you need a 'dot' instead?

Kerf was the same as in wood. I didn't trace the circle and we had to cut about a four inch wide channel and remove the ice in-between and trim the tight spots. Dot = Indian, not native American, to the "too many chiefs not enough indians" reference.

Back